Recently licensed manga!

Last week, you heard all about our new light novel announcements. This week, we’ve got some exciting new manga to tell you about!
Log Horizon (manga)
Mamare Touno / Illustration: Kazuhiro Hara / Supervision: Shoji Masuda
The world of Elder Tale was supposed to be fun for everyone, but ever since the 12th expansion pack came out and trapped thirty thousand gamers within its fantastical confines, it’s not much fun anymore! Nobody knows how to return to the real world, the food has no taste, and even death is no escape. Since the change, the world has fallen into lawlessness, and a strong guild is a player’s only hope for survival. It’s amid these dire circumstances that Shiroe sets off across the virtual landscape with his friends Noritsugu and Akatsuki on an adventure of discovery as they try to understand the nature of their new reality. Illustrator Kazuhiro Hara has adapted Mamare Touno’s novel series into a comic that gamers and manga fans alike won’t want to miss!
The Devil is a Part-Timer! (manga)
Satoshi Wagahara / Illustration: Akio Hiiragi / Character Design: 029
It’s tough being evil when you have to pay the rent! This comical tale of a demon-lord-turned-fry-slinging-schmuck follows the daily travails of (former) Devil King Sadao Mao and his general Shiro Ashiya, as they navigate the complexities of life in modern-day Tokyo. Having suffered utter defeat at the hands of a plucky hero, they’ve been banished to Earth and stripped of magical power. And if that weren’t enough, that pesky hero is still hell-bent on finishing the job. Artist Akio Hiiragi brings Satoshi Wagahara’s story to hilarious life in this manga adaptation of the hit novel series. It turns out crushing your enemies beneath your feet is tricky when you haven’t even made manager yet!
Karneval (manga)
Touya Mikanagi
Nai—a young man who travels in search of another by the name of Karoku, a lone bracelet his only lead. Gareki—a willful young man who earns his daily bread by thieving and picking pockets. Thrown together at an eerie mansion, where they are entrapped and framed, Nai and Gareki are soon hunted down as criminals by national security forces. As they are driven into a corner, before them appears the most powerful defense agency in the country, “Circus”—!!
We have also licensed the manga adaptation of Big Hero 6, Disney’s upcoming CG animated film!

Alex

I’m still waiting for Dusk Maiden of Amnesia! Also I’m not the only one who posted comments that are asking for the same thing that I want you know. There have been two other people besides myself that want this manga series to be licensed in America by Yen Press. And they’ve posted comments on Yen Press’ website just look for them.

Cesar

Brynhildr in the Darkness is published by Shueisha. You’re probably better off sharing your interest in seeing that localized to Viz since they’re co-owned by Shogakukan and Shueisha.

Pine

Does Yen Press publish Korean LN? I would really like it if they got Legendary Moonlight Sculptor and Dark Mage.

benjamin

Great! NGNL manga as well as light novel! Can you license Black Bullet, Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru, and Date a Live?

Devin

Looking forward to The Devil is a Part Timer!
I would really love to see Tokyo Ghoul, and Is This a Zombie?(Light Novel), too! 😀

nea

Thank you so much!! Is there any chance that Aki’s manga(Aruosumente) or Ishida Sui’s Tokyo Ghoul will be licenced? I will be waiting for your next announcements! : )

Reeeen

Hurrah awesome!!
Quick recommendation while I’m here – Maoyuu Maou Yuusha – by the same author as log horizon.

Mikashi

Definitely grabbing Karneval and most likely The Devil is a Part-timer! (I will be grabbing the novel of it tho’.)
@Nea3 —
Tokyo Ghoul is from Shueisha tho’.
Our best bet would be Viz or Dark Horse grabbing it.
(Of course, I’d love it if it was licensed over here.)

Cesar

Hope Qualia the Purple(the manga adaption) from Tsunashima Shirou and Ueo Hisamitsu gets picked up by someone. Would pre-order in a heartbeat without a doubt.

Detrimont

With Akame ga Kill, will you be releasing volume 1.5? which is releasing with the first Blu-ray set of the anime in Japan. (It has shele on the cover…)

GlitCh

Minor thing, but it’s still early, so it can still be fixed, Kagerou Daze’s description listed Shintaro’s name spelt like Shintarou, i know it’s only one extra letter, but all official merchandise that has english spelling, spells his name Shintaro… just saying….
Also Mary is Marry…

Hiera

@GlitCh
Oh yes I noticed it too. I’m so used to Shintaro that Shintarou doesn’t seem right.
Dear Yen Press, please consider changing it 🙂

Alex

Hey Yen Press did you put my recommendation for Dusk Maiden of Amnesia into consideration yet? Because your editor Tania said that it has been noted so have you? Because the manga series has been out in Japan for over 5 years, and I’ve already seen the anime adaption more than once. So please send a response about my request.

earthinmywindow

@Alex—I think you need to cool your heels there. Asking for the same title over and over again, commenting about it multiple times on the same post, may seem like dedication to you, but it comes off as pushy and entitled. You’ve already been told by a representative of Yen Press that they cannot discuss upcoming licenses, but you don’t seen to have taken that answer to heart and have asked to speak to a CEO r higher-up. Yen Press licenses and publishes manga (and now light novels!) for every reader, not just you. It is a service, not an obligation. Please, show a little more respect for the people who are doing their best to deliver great titles and make enough money to keep it going.

Alex

@earthinmywindow- Alright I’ll try to calm down and be patient, for when the time comes that my request will be granted.

Rin

Both “Shintarou” and “Shintaro” are correct. It’s just a matter of how you choose to romanize the kanji. Although simply “Shintaro” looks cleaner and wont confuse someone unfamiliar to the Japanese tongue. Don’t even get me started on Japanese romaji, meant for Japanese people to read aka “Sho” VS “Syo”. So consider “Shintarou” a blessing. rofl

Alex

@earthinmywindow- I’ve thought about what you’ve said and your right I apologize for that sorry.

Devin

Can’t remember if I already commented about this, but I’ll post it again, just to be safe, and I’m too lazy to look it up lol
I hope to see the Tokyo Ghoul manga come to america, it would be sweet! So would the “Is This a Zombie?” Light Novels, too.
Sorry if this was already posted somewhere else

Star

I love you yenpress!!! thank you so much for all the awesome manga and light novels you are going to publish!!!! You always publish amazing manga thank you so much! I always wanted karneval to be in english!

Alex

I know about the manga adaption of Disney’s Big Hero 6, but I rather see the movie instead. That’s why I’m going to see it by myself, probably during Thanksgiving week because it’s mostly boring during that time.

GlitCh

@Rin – i’m just mostly referencing that in all official merchandise, when romanization is used, it’s “Shintaro” , i’ve never seen “Shintarou” in any merchandise

Alex

Hey Yen Press are you still publishing manga from Square Enix? Because I looked up some of the new manga and light novels that you’ve recently announced, and they aren’t from Square Enix so please tell me that your still working alongside Square Enix.

Hiera

@GlitCh
Yes you are right.
In anime opening when character names show at the beginning his name is written as Shintaro.
And everywhere, like on myanimelist it’s always always Shintaro.
And idk, but it just looks better this way?

Michelle

@Stephanie I second that on 1/2 prince. It’d fit in with all the video game manga and light novels YP is licensing lately.

Alex

Oh wait sorry you guys are still with Square Enix, because of the manga series like Soul Eater and Black Butler. My bad.

Alex

Hey Yen Press I’m sending you this comment, to tell you that I’m sincerely sorry for bombarding you with comments about my only request: Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. Its just that I never actually asked a company for a request before in my life, nor have I posted any comments on a company’s website before either. When I posted a comment on your website for the first time 3 weeks ago, I got worried that you guys won’t answer my comments and acknowledge my request. So I started sending more passionate comments about my request, for you guys to publish Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. Since it’s from Square Enix, and you guys have published a large number of manga series from them. Explaining why I chose Yen Press to fulfill my recommendation. Anyway 5 days after posting my first comment, your editor Tania posted a response saying that my request for Dusk Maiden of Amnesia has been noted. I naturally got excited about that instantly, and thought you guys would announce my recommendation by the end of this month. But I was wrong, because you guys are a busy company and can’t make things happen instantly. And I realize that now, people can’t make things happen right away. Because they need time to make them happen. So all I want to say is that I’m sorry for trying to rush you guys. Please forgive me.

LKK

I respectfully urge you to consider this enhancement for your next web site update. Please add some indication as to whether a title is available in digital as well as print formats. As a fan who prefers digital format whenever possible, I find it very frustrating that I can’t tell which titles are available in digital formats by visiting your web site. This is especially important to me when I’m starting a new series as I prefer to have all my volumes in the same format. So advance notice of what formats a series will be offered in is especially appreciated. Thank you in advance for considering my suggestion.

Hiera

(once again about Shintaro’s name, sorry)
So I have done little research and look what I found:
In the first volume of a novel there’s this picture:
with names of everyone. And his name is spelled as Shintaro.
In orginal japanese novel. So if you’re going to include this picture in your release (and I hope you will because these pictures are super cool) then it won’t really make sense to have his name translated other way.
Also in a guidebook:
Here too, it’s just Shintaro without u.
And caps from anime opening:
So so please, change it. I know that it’s not a big matter, but he is my favourite character and for me it really is important. And for other fans it can be important too. You can still change it, right? Please, consider doing it.
(and once again sorry for long message)

Hiera

Also I’m pretty lost and not sure about which Madoka side stories and licensed? Is Rebellion manga licensed?

Alex

Hey Yen Press, did you know that Square Enix has a manga publishing division called Gangan Comics? I bet Square Enix told you that already, any it’s a manga imprint from them. It publishes manga in several magazines aimed at different reader demographic groups in the Japanese market. For example, Monthly GFantasy is a magazine series from Square Enix. That possesses manga for young male readers and tend to be set in a fantasy setting with large amounts of supernatural themes and a fair amount of action and/or horror scenes. Anyway the manga series Akame ga Kill!, is from another magazine series from Square Enix called Gangan Joker and it was launched in Japan on April 22, 2009. The magazine also possesses manga that you’ve already licensed: Akame ga Kill!, Inu x Boku SS, Umineko: When They Cry, and WataMote. Apparently you missed one manga series: Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. So I ask you this please license that series please?

Aumi

Yay no game no life 🙂 I have a suggestion for manga licence! Can you guys get Hyouka manga? 🙂

Alex

@tania- Hey tania if you’re reading this, I just want to say thanks again for noting my recommendation for Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. I never thought that a newcomer like me would get acknowledged about asking for only a single request from Yen Press. Also I sincerely apologize for spamming the company’s website with my request, it’s just that I was afraid that my request would be forgotten by you and Yen Press. So I apologize for that, and again thank you for acknowledging my request.

nuriko55

Aww man! I thought you would publish the Corpse Party series!!!!! CORPSE PARTY IS AWSOME!!. please, please it’s great.

Amazing

if you guys going to licence light novel….f*c*ing do it in a fast face….. I d*mn hate waiting for you to release it…. I’ll rather drop getting your releases and find another one to read online…. you guys are slow….

Alex

@nuriko55- Hey I guess we have something in common: You like Corpse Party while I like Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, because both of them are mystery themed manga.

Alex

@nuriko55- I’m sorry both manga series are about ghost stories, anyway if you want Yen Press to acknowledge your request. And send you a response, saying that your request has been noted like they did to me. You’re going to have to send them a few long comments about how passionate you really are about your request for Corpse Party.

Alex

Hey just curious, did you ever get any comments from someone who asked you for one or more requests from you? And then when they are met, did that person ever sent you a final comment saying thank you for granting them and then never talking to you again? Because the requests were all that he or she wanted. Say like two or three.

Spunik

I would love to see Yen Press license Demon Possession since I know that belongs ASCII Media Works in Japan. Also would love to see Masamune-kun no Revenge if possible but, thank you for you have licensed and brought over so far! Love the new Light Novels coming in!

Alex

I can’t believe that it’s been exactly a month to the date, since I posted my first comment to you. And then 5 days later your editor Tania, acknowledged and noted my request how about that. Hey just to let you know, that the previous comments from before September 2014 by someone who’s also named Alex is not me at all. You can obviously tell from email addresses and the comments about our requests. The other Alex wanted more than one manga series to be published by you, while I however am asking you for one single request and that’s for you to publish Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. Just to let you know that okay, because what I’m telling you IS the truth.
P.S. I can’t thank you enough for acknowledging and noting my recommendation for you to publish Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. And again I apologize for spamming you about my request, because that was uncalled for and I should’ve just calmed down. After your editor Tania posted a response saying that my request has been noted. Oh and tell her I said thanks again for noting my recommendation.

sevi

@ Spunik-
I’m pretty sure Demon Possession was discontinued after the second volume. Unless that publisher has another series with that title.

Alex

Hey I’ve posted some comments from my phone, some of them haven’t appeared on the website. What happened? Why haven’t they appeared yet? Some of the ones that I’ve posted from a computer did, but the recent ones from my phone haven’t. Why is that happening?

Alex

Excuse the comment from Oct. 7 2014 at 7:22pm, I just found out that it takes some time for some of them to come up. Anyway, here’s a couple of images that are about my request for Dusk Maiden of Amnesia.
Manga (volume 1): http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110820072756/tasogare-otome/images/3/30/Manga_vol1_cover.jpg
Anime: http://media.animevice.com/uploads/0/4479/540352-yuuko_kanoe__1.png
I probably should have done this sooner, including the last comment that had the link to the anime version’s review on youtube. Sorry about that.
P.S. I take it that I’m not the only one who posted comments with links to videos and pics found on the internet apparently. The people who did that, did it to give you a heads up on their requests like I did. Or to make corrections… either way.

Spunik

@ Sevi-
Sadly I found that out shortly after I posted that. It had a pretty good start to me at least. *sigh*

Kumi

Is there any chance to get Donten ni Warau licensed in the future? Or I’m not really familiar as which publishers can license which series and stuff but I really liked Donten ni Warau and would be cool to have it in English. ;n;
Also, I’m really happy about Karneval, one of my favourites, can’t wait to get it! >u<

tania

@Ciardra – We licensed the LOG HORIZON light novels at the same time as the manga! The first volume of the light novels will be out in April 2015 under the Yen On imprint!

Phillangees

Any chance *any* of these will get a digital release? If I’ve somehow missed it forgive me, but I can’t find a digital copy of the SAO series, so I’ve got little hope of seeing Log Horizon in that format.
Ironic don’t you think? Considering the subject matter no digital version just seems… Antiquated.

Meat2004

I inquired about the possibility of Yen Press picking up Tasogare Otome x Amnesia, but I got no answer back on that subject. I currently own all of the volumes including the Anthology and 8.5 edition due to my love of the story. It’s great to see that I’m not the only person that want to see this series get an US release.

Eva

Men, 2 years already?well, i have been coinmg around since you released PaniPoni but i didn’t know ho much you had been working well, hope there will be more years (yet it doesn’t exactly depend iff i hope or not XD) and that you will finish all your manga projects!