New Announcements from Yen Press!

Yen Press is spending this weekend at Sakura-Con in Seattle, Washington, and you all know what that means…
……
It means anyone NOT in Seattle, NOT attending Sakura-Con is missing out on some seriously awesome giveaways! We’ve got posters, stickers, bookmarks, postcards, keychains, and more! If you ARE at S-C and you HAVEN’T stopped by the Yen booth(!), be sure to visit BOOTH #529,531 and say hello!
……
Okay, okay, we know what you’re really waiting for: NEW ANNOUNCEMENTS FROM YEN PRESS!
Coming in 2013, an original adaptation of Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl’s bestselling BEAUTIFUL CREATURES! For the past few months, Ethan Wate has been plagued with vivid, terrifying dreams—a mysterious girl cries out for his help, but as he reaches for her, she slips through his fingers and plunges into darkness. The dreams are unsettling, but awake, life in his small Southern town is the same-old news…until the new girl comes to town. And she looks almost…familiar…even though this tiny town has never seen the likes of a girl like Lena Duchannes… Talented newcomer Cassandra Jean will be illustrating this dark romantic fantasy, which will be serializing in YEN PLUS magazine online later this year.
And of course, we have a wealth of new manga licenses comin’ your way later this year!

• Thermae Romae by Mari Yamazaki, an award-winning manga series that celebrates the bathhouse culture of ancient Rome and modern Japan, recently adapted as a TV anime and live-action film. Yen Press will be releasing Thermae Romae in a deluxe hardcover omnibus format, with each omnibus containing two volumes of the original series.
  • Kaoru Mori: Anything and Something, a standalone collection of short stories and art by Kaoru Mori, author of the critically-acclaimed A Bride’s Story and Emma. Kaoru Mori: Anything and Something will be released as an oversized hardcover to match A Bride’s Story.
  • Umineko When They Cry, a manga adaptation of the mystery visual novel series by Ryukishi07, author of the New York Times bestselling Higurashi When They Cry. This series will be released as an oversized omnibus edition, with each English volume containing two volumes of the original series.
  • Blood Lad by Yuuki Kodama, a dark, comedic fantasy about a human girl’s efforts to recover her life—with the help(?) of vampire/demon boss Staz—after she stumbles into the demon world.
  • Triage X, a fast-paced, full-throttle action series from the artist behind the New York Times bestselling Highschool of the Dead.
  • The Misfortune of Kyon & Koizumi, a collection of short story comics by various artists, featuring the boys of the SOS Brigade and based on the internationally-bestselling Haruhi Suzumiya novel series.
  • Alice in the Country of Hearts: My Fanatic Rabbit, spun off of the popular game series by QuinRose. In this telling, Alice takes up residence at Hatter Mansion with Mafia boss Blood and his faithful rabbity companion, the March Hare. (The manga adaptation of the original Alice in the Country of Hearts will be released as three omnibus volumes volumes in June 2012.)

So which ones are you guys most excited about? 😀
Thanks again to everyone who came to our panel and who has (or will) stop by our booth!
***While we don’t usually make announcements when successive volumes of a series are released, we’re making a special exception in this case, since it’s been so long since the last volume of…CHOCOLAT! Yen Press will be releasing a HUGE omnibus at the end of this year containing the final three volumes of the series. Thank you to everyone who has patiently waited for this excellent title, and we hope you are looking forward to reading the complete Chocolat at the end of this year!

Hiera

Umineko~ But if it’s omnbibus and some arcs has got 5 volumes are you going to release 5th volume of one arc and first volume of another arc together?
And what about blue and red truth? Will you use color fonts?
So now I can pray for Gosick, Deadman Wonderland and Another 🙂

Jess

Will Umineko have colored words in Episode 2 onwards? I imagine it should be a bit easier to do since it’s in an omnibus.

BamBam95

Quite a few good titles here. I would kill to see Oyasumi PunPun and Ichigo Mashimaro licensed though (I was actually kind of surprised that Yen Press didn’t pick up Ichigo Mashimaro after TokyoPop went under).

Anonymous

Really excited for Thermae Romae. It’s a great manga, I’d recommend everyone give it a try.

My_Nick

And I can’t believe there’s more Kaoru Mori!!! She’s just amazing!!!
I hope you’ll one day release Emma…

Pikari

YENPRESS THESE ARE AWESOME
Umineko! Thermae Romae! More Kaoru Mori!
I am so freaking stoked for these!
AWESOME! 😀

Eri

Thank you so much for Thermae Romae and for The Misfortune of Kyon & Koizumi, can’t wait 😀

Zaneta

Hmm… I’m most excited about “Kaoru Mori: Anything and Something”. But I think ,that, probably, I’ll also buy “Umineko When They Cry” and “Thermae Romae”. Maybe also “The Misfortune of Kyon & Koizumi”.
I was hoping to see “Warau Kanoko-sama” by Tsujita Ririko (which TokyoPop didn’t finish) or “Emma” by Kaoru Mori (in your hard cover edition)… Is any chance, that you’ll reconsider them?
I would be very grateful for answer. And thank you very much for next work of Kaoru Mori 🙂

Gabby

Thank you for licensing “Thermae Romae” and giving it the quality treatment it deserves!! When is TR’s release date? I want to pre-order it already!
Also, I’ve been a big fan of Cassandra Jean since reading her work on mangamagazine.net. I have the first volume of her webcomic “Black eyed Susan”. I’m sure she’ll do a wonderful job with “Beautiful Creatures”!.

Lizzie

Wow, I am SO excited! I definitely can’t wait for Thermae Romae and I will be preordering ASAP. 😀
I’m also looking forward to Kaoru Mori: Anything and Something!

Captain Forrix

I am definitely most excited about Umineko!!!
It’s so great that you are releasing it!!! 😀
You all are the best!!! The Omnibuses will be great too!
From a huge fan of Ryukishi07’s works, Thanks!!!

mon67

you guys rock! I can’t wait to pre-order umineko, triage x and the kaoru mori book!!

Fyre

When you are doing the age recommendations for Blood Lad, I hope that you are going to rate it as a Teen. I have read it and felt that it deserves a ranking like this. Older Teen is simply too high of a rating for it.
I hope that you will take into account this comment when rating it.

Sara

Umineko no Naku Koro ni! I’m so happy that yen press got the english version!

lonny

Was hoping nichijou would come up; it seems like a Yen Press kind of title. Would like Ichigo Mashimaro picked; although, after all these years only 1 more release has been out since the Tokyopop days. Quicker Spice and wolf novel releases would be nice(even three a year).

Reeny

THANK YOU VERY MUCH Yen Press for Kaoru Mori’s ‘Anything and Something’!! Her works are wonderful! I hope one day you’ll release ‘Sumire no Hana’ too! Also thank you for ‘The Misfortune of Kyon & Koizumi’ and more ‘Heart no Kuni no Alice’! Definitely will be picking up these titles! Keep up the fantastic work!!

Alan

Umineko of course is the reason I am commenting, will definitely buy, go 07th Expansion! Go Yen Press!

Shay

UMINEKO!!! Thank you so much~!!
Been waiting for this for a long time~! Glad to see it finally coming true! Love you Yen Press~!

Chels

So many good titles! I will definitely be buying Alice and maybe Blood Lad. Might also check out Thermae Romae and Kaoru Mori.
Thanks for such great licenses!!

hikaru

You mean alice in the country of hearts WILL be released in June 2012, unless you’re writing from the future Abby XD

@My_Nick
Sorry, Umineko won’t be hardcover, it will be similar to how we’ve treated Darker Than Black, Sasameke, etc.
@Fyre
Given that the girl is naked in the very first chapter, this is most likely going to be Older Teen, but the final determination is yet to come.
@JV
Spice & Wolf isn’t a new license announcement! When there are new release dates, they will be posted to the S&W series page.
@hikaru
Yes. Yes, I am writing from the future…
Fixed!
And for clarity, Fanatic Rabbit will release toward the end of this year, and the first Alice adaptation (prev. from TokyoPop) will be released in its entirety this June.

Hiera

And what about blue and red truth? Will you use color fonts?
So now I can pray for Gosick, Deadman Wonderland and Another 🙂

blah

good to hear about new oel manga!
still the most thing i am exited aboutis if you found someone ready to publishing in yen press talent search(sadly, i didn’t make it in time T_T). i hope yes, because it would be so promising for all the people who try to become mangaka outside of japan…
sadly, i am not anywhere close to sakura-con T____T

Hiera

And what about blue and red truth? Will you use color fonts?

CherryCola

I am so happy to see that you guys picked up the sequel to Heart no Kuni no Alice and also that there is going to be omnibus of the Chocolat’s last volumes! Thank you soo much! These are greatest news! Thank you! Keep up with the good work!!!<3

Hiyorma

UMINEKO! I absolutely can’t wait <3 My friends are too lazy to read the visual novels, and the manga will be the only format in which I can get others into the series.

Meep

Really excited about these licenses though *_*
I have a bit of a silly question though will the Alice volumes coming out in June and My Fanatic Rabbit volumes be the same size?

Bobby

No SoreMachi license takeover from J-manga? I want Hotori on my bookshelf. Please get SoreMachi manga!!!

Arc

Thanks Yen Press!
Some great picks. I’ll definitely be getting Umineko and Thermae Romae. Will Umineko follow a shedule like Higurashi? (ie; one omnibus every three months.)
Also, I hope you guys eventually pick up Saikoroshi-hen, Hirukowashi-hen, Utsutsukowashi-hen from the Higurashi series.

MoogleVoodoo

I would love to see you guys pick up the Trinity Blood manga series and light novels

tt

OMG,I have been waiting like forever for Chocolat:)
Thanxs for finally finishing it.

Emeraude

UMINEKO. YAY. <3 I think fans of Ryukishi07's works and new readers will enjoy it. It's nice that Yen Press actually does take our requests into consideration. I think the majority of us are pleased with all the announcments.

Ade

Omg, Umineko! I can’t believe it, so excited to read this one is being licensed! I love Higruashi, and now I’ll have something to look forward to once I finish it 🙂
Also Alice in the Country of hearts (ALL OF THEM!!! The originals and the extras) and Kaoru Mori’s book! I really wish you guys could license Emma. <3

Liz

Thanks yen press for finally finishing my fave manhwa Chocolat. I have been waiting for the end since you picked it up from ice kunion forever ago. Thank you. Thank you. Will so be buying. I have kept them hoping for the end. A promise delivered, much thanks.

Gwen

Umineko!!! OMG. You guys are amazing.
Umineko is my favorite story ever, and I really enjoy the manga.
I’m so excited to be able to own it in English!
YESSSSSSSS!
THANK YOU GUYS.

Chay

I’m glad to see Umineko acquired by you guys. I loved how well the translations for Higurashi were done. I also can’t wait to have Umineko on my bookshelf. 😀
I’m really hoping you’ll save mangas like The Future Diary, Deadman Wonderland, and D.N.Angel. Like the others, I really would want to have them in my hands, reading them happily.

Kohii

This is probably the first time that I’m not excited about titles announced. Usually, there’s 2 titles that I end up buying. I might check out Thermae Romae, but that’s it.

Tiago

Talking about j-manga… Hoshi no Samidare it should be licensed.
I will get Blood lad

lonny

Thanks for the updates to questions asked here. Mostly, Thank you for the quicker Spice And Wolf Novel releases …:) 3 Novels a year now… Cant wait !!

Snow

YAY for Chocolat!! I’d kept the faith that the series would be finished someday.
Also very interested to see the adaptation of Beautiful Creatures. I really enjoyed the novel!

Shaku

@ Everyone saying Spice & wolf is getting quicker releases
I’m pretty sure no one from yen press said this is happening and the release page is still the same…

Freak

Question: How much has Ryu informed the staff of Yen Press of the truth behind Umineko?
(For example:
A certain red truth might depend on having two literal interpretations in Japanese: one which the readers are supposed to take, and the other which is correct.
An uninformed translator might unwittingly choose a translation which only has the surface interpretation, and render the mystery impossible for readers.)

Alex

I’m really excited for the Kaoru Mori collection and Thermae Romae! Hoping with the others that one day you will re-publish Mori’s other titles, like Emma and Shirley (please please please please, pretty please?)

lonny

Re:Spice and Wolf Novels
They tweeted and announced on ANN(among others) that they picked up novels 7 to 9 and will be releasing 3 novels a year from June(the 6th release).

Tran

CHOCOLAAAAT!!!!!
WOO. HOO. YEN PRESS!!
I’ve GOT to get my hands on that!
Thank you =D!!

Sarah

Are you going to post the pictures you took from the booth? My group would love to get copies of the Alice in the country of hearts pictures that were taken of us.

Manga Connection

I can’t thank you enough (thank you, thank you, thank you!) for Mori’s Anything and Something. I was this close to buying an expensive Japanese copy off of Ebay just to have it. Thank you for the beautiful hard cover A Bride’s Story volumes too; and if you could ever rescue Emma and Shirley from OOP limbo, my joy would know no bounds. (A hard cover Emma? Dreams!)
Definite Anything and Something preorder here!

Ms. Sarcasm

I am very excited to see another Kaoru Mori book! And I would love to see Shirley and Emma licensed. 🙂

kaulee

BLOOOOOOD LAAAAAAAAAAD!! i can’t wait for it!! But I also like the other titles too but blood lad caught my attention the most. I’m so happy yen press is publishing it!! AWESOMENESS!!!!

Shaku

@Ionny
Ooooo thanks for the update, guess I should check out their twitter.
And thank you yen press for at least some good news about light novels!

AnimeMuch

Thank you so much for licensing more of the Haruhi spin-off’s and Umineko :D!! Only things left to license to make me happy is licensing Another, Ef, the spin-off’s of Madoka, Doubt and Judge 😀

Mikashi

BLOOD LAD!
I’m so excited for this [truth be told, I didn’t even know of its existence until you licensed it, now I’m obsessed with it XD. /shot.]
Unfortunately, it’s the only title that interests me XD, unless of course I check out Fanatic Rabbit and like it XD.

Whentheyrejoice

Will the Episode X and Ougon Musoukyoku mangas enventually be licensed for Umineko?

ciaobu

Oh man. You guys are the best for Umineko. Still want my light novels of Durarara, Baccano, Fate Zero, and Kara no Kyuokai though.

Matt

I’m very excited for Mori Kaoru’s Anything and Something. I love A Bride’s Story. It would be awesome if you could acquire the license to Emma and give it a reprint. There is an entire generation of readers who discovered Mori Kaoru’s awesome work through your release of A Bride’s Story, but haven’t gotten to read Emma because it was out of print by the time we knew about it.

Chichinibbler

Please pick up the world god only knows manga. I would really like to buy it from you.

TRMshadow

KAORU MORI! KAORU MORI! KAORU MORI! YAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Whentheyrejoice

According to this ANN article, [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2012/sakura-con/12] it’s states that Umineko no Naku Koro ni will be released in a hardcover format.
To quote from the article itself,
“Horror fans will be pleased by Yen Press’ acquisition of Umineko When They Cry, a manga adaptation of the visual novel series by Ryukishi07 (Higurashi: When They Cry), with art by Kei Natsumi. This series will also be released in a 2-in-1 hardcover omnibus format.”
Is this true?

Aleu

Oh my god!! UMINEKO!! It sounds kind of weird saying the english translation though XD.. now I will surely hope elfen lied gets licensed in english. I can’t stand it anymore. I’ve bought the whole series in korean and I need 4 more volumes in japanese & 5 more in german. please.. license elfen lied in english before I DIE D:
love you guys <3

Aleu

Oh and how about hidan no aria (aria the scarlet ammo) I’d love to see both the manga & novels get licensed.. still need to get vol 5 in japanese d:
Can’t forget about re-releasing “Emma” like a few others said… would be great to see them in a HC editions!
What about the Higurashi novels?
Higanbana? (another new series from ryukishi07)
Omamori himari light novels?
Elfen lied (had to repeat myself) & nonononono?
Eden of the east novels?
Could you get a hold of Fate/Stay night? OOP now…
and the actual haibane renmei doujinshi manga?
those are just some series I’d like to see from you guys…

deidara517

OMG UMINEKO!!!!! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!! i will be purchasing all of the manga from you guys soon

CP

Is there any chance you could continue the license of Princess Resurrection? It was once published by Del Ray Manga but stopped at volume 7 and I would love to finish the rest of the series.

tea

UMINEKO!! :3 BUT PLEASE PLEASE CAN YOU ALSO RELEASE THEM AS SINGLE VOLUMNES? THE OMNIBUS VERSIONS ARE JUST TOO BIG IN MY OPINION! oops, caps lock.. anyway, I truly wish you’d release both versions for those of us who like our manga thin..I’m sure there’s quite a lot of us!

S

I totally feel head over heels with the books B.O.D.Y. But they didnt finish the series….we got to 10 then nothing else….that would be sooooooo cool if u guys got them. Plus I am soooo excited u guys got the alice in the c. Books! Cant wait.

Liddy B

OMG CHOCOLAT! Finally, after these YEARS of waiting, we see the end! (I don’t care how many E-wan/Kumji shippers there are, I’m always for E-Soh/Kumji)So excited!

Harper

“Blood Lad” is the one I love the most of these! I’m so excited, I can’t wait for “Blood Lad” to be released!

Ellie

CHOCOLAT! I’ve waited so long for the end of that series. Add me to the list for a hardcover rerelease of Emma!

Melissa

Hey Yen Press. Kuragehime/Princess Jellyfish/Jellyfish Princess.
Nudge nudge. 😀 Pretty pretty please?

Bananas! =D

U-m-i-n-e-k-o! Anticipation to the max! =D. Also, I’ve been wondering if it’s possible for you guys to publish Akame ga Kiru?

Missy

I am so happy to see Chocolat come to an end. I can’t stand it when I get invested in a series and it stops abruptly, whether by author’s choice or the publisher stopping. YAAAY! That is also why I am happy to see your continuation of the Alice in the Country of Hearts series. (May I also suggest some further rescues from TokyoPop’s demise–Maid-Sama & Shinobi Life? :-D)

Naome

Very excited for BLOOD LAD !!!!
im so glad you guys have decided to do it ((sobbing))

Noc

I’m a little late to the party, but I wanted to let you guys know how excited I am to know that you’ll be doing Blood Lad. Its not very often that a manga I really love gets serialized in the west (I think the last one from Yen Press was Sumomomo) so thank you very much for picking up this awesome series, I’m sure it’ll be very popular here!
I read on the upcoming release schedule that its going to be released in Omnibus format, though…so no separate volumes? Given the alternating colors and patterns Kodama-sensei designs for each volume in Japan, I’m a little disappointed- I was looking forward to having an array of colors on my bookshelf! How will you handle the cover designs in this case? Other than that I have no worries. I know you guys will do a great job!

@Noc It is never to late to be excited about Blood Lad! EVERYONE should be excited about Blood Lad!!!
We won’t be publishing separate volumes, but we will be including the unused cover as an insert.
We’ll be using the Japanese volume 1 cover on the first omnibus, and the volume 3 cover on the second, I believe.

Brandon Morales

Do you guys plan on licensing all the Umineko volumes including Chiru? I would SO buy them all if you did! 😀 And is the manga selling well?

Jake

O.O How many volumes of Umineko are we going to get total? I’m already excited about higurashi new seasons and the movie coming out, so how may volumes are theregoing to be?

yukirei

I’m stoked to see more Kaoru Mori since she’s oe of my favorite mangaka ever, but I’m still waiting for someone to pick up Monthly Girl’s Nozaki-kun.