November YEN PLUS! The Search is on!

Can we all utter a collective “Awwwww” over this month’s YEN cover? Milkyway looks so warm and comfy~ The only thing missing from this picture is her laptop so she can read the latest chapters of her favorite YEN PLUS series! You’d better get cozy in front of your monitors this month, because the November issue is packed with so much action and awesome! After Alexia and Lord Akeldama’s evening was so rudely interrupted in the last chapter of Soulless, they meet the masterminds behind the supernatural disappearances in London…and must take care lest they are made to “disappear” themselves! Max Ride and the Flock are facing their own brand of evil mastermind as the traitor among them is revealed and exposes the truth! Meanwhile, Witsy and Whit, witch and wizard extraordinaire, are trying to escape their local sinister institution, and Daniel X has his hands full with a particularly distasteful alien vampire! Not to mention THREE chapters of Soul Eater NOT! as we draw nearer to simultaneous serialization beginning in 2012!
And if that weren’t enough, this month we are also launching our second annual New Talent Search! As before, we are giving our loyal subscribers an early look at the details, so make sure you check out page 14 for more info! To the rest, you’ll have to wait just a bit longer~
Thank you so much for reading! As always, we appreciate your thoughts below!

Turner Harbert

Darn! I sure hope I can wait until the talent search details are out. I’m so excited!

Joey

Hoooreeery the talent search is out….Booooooo I’m not a subcriber cause i hate paypal so i can’t see what the requirements are!
Hope for the prize they show at least five winners works every month.

Syku

Woot! The talent search is ON! Good luck to everyone entering, I hope this time there will be someone they deem worthy enough for publication!

Phoenix422

That’s great! I hope you licences Umineko soon!
Also, I was wondering if you plan to release the Anthology arc, Kataribanashi-hen, the Dice-Killing arc, Saikoroshi-hen and the Heart-Healing arc, Kokoroiyashi-hen as well? It’d be great if you did since it’d really complete the Higurashi series!

lea

XD I would love to have a manga printed by a grate quality company like yen press, but to my dismay I cannot see the entry rules. (My only chance is to improve my cv)
Good look to everyone who enters.

Shaku

Mandatory “I want more light novels” post……gimme :3
Boku ha tomodachi ga sukunai? Ore no imouto? Kami-Sama no Memo-chou? Denpa onna to seishun otoko? C^3? Bakemonogatari? Toradora? Just about any will do!

Sarah

I’m so glad my friend and I started in august, haha I jut hope the length details are the same from last year…. ^.^;

Gabby

Who ever wrote the submission guidelines, did a good job at answering questions that, were brought up from the first talent search!! I’m thinking about entering…IDK.
I’m sorry if I sound like a total suck up. Thank you YP for giving OEL comics a good rep.
Btw, will Milkyway Hitchiking still have a print release? I can’t find it in the new releases section.

@Gabby We tried really hard to make things more clear this time around!
As for Milkyway and Aron, we hope to have more info soon on the print release schedule! Sorry for the wait!

Sorrano

@Allen: YES, I TOTALLY JUST PROVED WHAT A HYPOCRITE I CAN BE. πŸ™‚
It really depends on the deadline, though. I’m getting a vacation soon, with nothing but free time. I learned a lot over this past year, and I figured I really have nothing to lose but this chance. Second chances don’t always come by so easily. Even when you don’t make it, you still get a lot of practice and experience just by trying. When you don’t think you may be good enough to enter, you’re just screwing yourself.

Allen

@Sorrano Yeah, you and i are on the same page. I didn’t make in time for the last one but i am glad i didn’t. now it’s been a year and i finally know the things i did wrong (figure drawing was awsome) and now i won’t have to repeat them again. I’ve been debating on what story i would want to send in to them i finaly know what. I just need to manage my time wisely and get everything i need.

Hackwolfin

r the pages sizes the same as last?
oh! does anyone got a dA here? i wanta see what im up agaist here! and YP r we aloud to post r work anywhere or do we have to wait til the winners r revealed
good luck everyone!!!

@Hackwolfin All your questions are answered in the guidelines! If you aren’t a subscriber, you’ll have to wait!

foraredrose

Great issue – I’m really liking Soul Eater Not! Any word on when our friend Yotsuba will be back with us?

LKK

Is it possible to add a Remember Me function to the Yen Plus login page? It’s increasingly annoying to have to log in every time I want to read the magazine.

Maxim

I’m still thinking about entering the contest…
But here is a question (actually there are 2 of them): why is the timespan between two Haruhi Suzumiya Novels so large? I’m sure that, once I understand, I’ll be able to have greater patience (don’t get me wrong, I love your versions with the original art and such). Is it possible that the releases of the Haruhi novels would be sped up (simply yes or no would give me all the information I want)? I’m not english, and by all means, I don’t want to sound impolite to my favorite manga publishing company!

Krazeh Kai

Just wondering, but does YenPress have any plans of publishing Ghost Hunt, the light novels? I’d be very interested in seeing that series translated. : )

Christopher

How come we cant enter a manga done from right to left!!!!! why does it have to be left to right!!! thats not cool! they should accept any!!

Hackwolfin

@Chirstopher
idk but…I SOOOOO THINK YOUR RIGHT!!! i always write my manga right to left!
and its kinda crazy writing them left to right.
BUT!
maybe if u make, you can then write it right to left ^-^

Dorothy Blount

man i really want to know the rules i have evrything done but i need to know the sizes. huh untill then i guess i’ll just work on my school work. boo. i hate high school.
Anyways good luck to everyone. =) ^3^

Shaku

@Christopher: because you aren’t in Japan. You’re writing for people who read from left to right.

Syku

@christopher & hackwolfin. What Shaku said. Yen Press is giving us this amazing opportunity to showcase ourselves in front of their editor, least you could do is submit something on their terms. It’s not hard.

Laure

I agree with raku.
We need more light novels from yen press.
Fate zero would make tons of money too.

Redprincess

@yun-lang There is plenty of time, and last year they posted the rules a month later. HOWEVER, a mistake I did last year was to start without knowing the rules, it caused me to have to edit my story half way through and fix all my art… it wasted a lot of time and caused my story to be half-assed. My suggestion is to wait before you start, but take this time to get an idea in your head.
My only question, which was touched on in the rules of this year but worded a bit confusing like, it wants our name and title there, does this mean it’s own title page or with in the art pages itself?

Christopher

@shaku
Hey man, you sound smart, have you ever read naruto dbz bleach fma deathnote roroni kenshin soul eater bakuman and so many others???? right to left, and your american right??? there are right to left manga in yen press right? yea im right. did you know theres a whole section in book stores that have manga in it and about 90% of them read right to left and what do they have in it? oh yea english letters! im shere people in america can still read manga that goes right to left with english in it right, i do it evey day. so dont be smart with me.
and i am going to do it left to right because i follow rules i was just asking.

christopher

wow its nice that yenpress deleted my comment twards SHAKU even though there was no vulger language and i was just making a point! its nice to know you will let people be a dick to me but not let me have my say back. maybe you where saving his pride. pshhh idonno.

Corinthian

@Christopher
You just made an ass of yourself in front of all of Yen Press’ readers. I hope you don’t get it ’cause of your attitude.

My_Nick

It’s not about for who you are making the manga. But if the autor draw the manga R-L so this is how it should be published.
If he draw it L-R, so then…
*my english sucks and i’m lazy to correct it*

Sarah

People shouldn’t get so worked up πŸ™‚ take the time to develop a story and be thankful for the opportunity, they give us the rules when they decide its best! It’s only right that people who pay them to be online get some perks πŸ™‚

SureIAm

Does it matter what type of storyline it has?
(I wanted to decide on my storyline before the details are out)
I don’t want to do a mushy storyline or anything (really mushy ones can get boring, plus I really prefer other kinds) but I wanted to do a romance/comedy one with a twist that isn’t too girly…
I also have an idea for more of a boyish plot but I don’t think it will work for a one-shot so much.

Autumn Smith

YAY! New talent search! can’t wait.
And yes, we do need more light novels! Spice & Wolf is the best! ( But volume 15 was releaed in japan like a YEAR AGO so you guys are super far behind) Does anyone know if a company publishes GOSICK light novels anymore? The anime ended a few months ago but Tokyopop doesn’t seem like it’s publishing it anymore…. (plus it’s going out of buisness) would love if you could pick up that beautiful series.

Gabby

Josei license request— “3AM Dangerous Zone”
I wish YP would add more titles for older females like Bride’s Stories, Bunny Drop, With the Light & Not love but Delicious foods

Sachiko

omg i REALLY hope we don’t have to do left-to-right manga. i’m used to drawing and reading manga in right-to-left. i honestly may not enter if we are forced to do left-to-right. that’s just so annoying when right-to-left is what i’m already used to. and lots of english-speaking manga fans read right-to-left, i don’t see why we’re forced to do it in a way we’re not used to!
when american publishing companies translate manga and bring the books over to the US (where i live) the books are in right-to-left form, at least most of the ones i’ve read. so that’s why i’m used to right-to-left.
i want to enter the talent search but there is a low chance that i will “win” (i know it’s not actually “winning” in this talent search but whatever) and i don’t want to spend a bunch of time and effort creating a manga when there is a low chance of “winning” if it has to be in a format that i don’t like and i’m not used to.

Shaku

@christopher: yes there are a bunch of Translated
Manga that are published from right to left. And they keep it that way for accuracy or whatever(they might not want left handed ppl becoming right handed all of a sudden or they just want it to be as close to the original as possible). But my point still stands. You are not a Japanese or Korean author who, having already published their material in their country, is now having it published somewhere else. There no reason for something that originated here to be written/drawn like it was from somewhere else besides the authors personal preference, which is honestly a ridiculous preference. There is no reason to get all pissy at me for trying to explain why they don’t want you drawing your work a certain way. And your examples are ridiculous ya know, 90% of manga in the manga section is right to left? More like 100%. They’re originally from a country who ppl read that way after all. Let’s put it this way, YOU are NOT creating manga, you are creating a graphic novel. You want to make manga, go to Japan.

christopher

@shaku
-and they keep it that way for accuracy or WHATEVER-????? thats some real accurate iformation there……. and its not for accuracy, or about right or left handed, the reason for them keeping it right to left is to prosurv the original form of the art. Your point sounds like its coming from a very narrow minded person. and by the way i dont know why you added Korean Manhwa in with the Japanese manga because Korean Manhwa is drawn left to right buddy. (and Manhwa is the name for Korean Comics) please do your research before you TRY to back your self up. Manga is ment to be drawn right to left. it just happens that there are some people in America that try to draw manga with a style that dosent even look like manga and go from left to right. im just letting you know you have no idea what your talking about. and it is more like 90% once again do your research. there are plenty of manga left to right in the graphic novel section. like ragnarok, jack frost, maximum ride, daniel x, witch and wizard, The Innocent, night school and so many others. LOL and wooooooooow graphic novels is a section for books that are told with pictures, manga is just a type of graphic novel! lol wow. you can create a manga starting right or left it dosent matter, but manga is originaly supposed to be drawn right to left. lol lest just make it worse for you. so your saying i can only draw manga in japan. quote from you -You want to make manga, go to Japan- so your saying manga can only be created in japan? so if a manga artist moved to america and drew manga, it couldent be manga right??? cause there not in Japan.. right? no not right. your trying to say i have to go to japan to create manga witch is not true. thats just where it started. next time do you research.

snow_bandit

I’m glad that this years talent search came so early, I missed the last one….it’s like the cosmos are working in my favor…GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL <3

Kiria

Goodness, does it really matter whether it’s left to right or right to left? I think you guys are missing the point here. Why are comics made? So that people read and enjoy the stories they tell. Therefore, if you’re the comic creator, you want a format that doesn’t give the reader a hard time. Manga from Japan is made and read from right to left because that’s how the mechanism of their language works- it’s made by Japanese artists for Japanese readers. I’m assuming Yen Press wants artists to draw manga in a format that reads from left to right because that’s how the English language works- it’s for the ease of English readers. And you do understand that Yen Plus is made primarily for an English speaking audience, don’t you?
As for you who complain about not being able to work in anything other than right to left format, you need to get over it. You won’t be able to succeed in the industry if you don’t know how to adapt. Just work that much harder to succeed, because if this is really what you want to do, you better be outstanding at it. If you really want to be a great artist, you need to know how to break your limits. Complaining only makes you look immature.
At least be thankful that Yen Press is giving you this opportunity. I’ve looked everywhere and as of now no other publishers are even bothering to glance at us OEL artists. Take what you can get without complaining so much. Give Yen Press’s rules some respect, and cut the drama over such a meaningless argument.

@christopher & Shaku
Just want to say you two are entertaining. :3 I think, even if ppl draw manga right to left, they should be good enough to take up the challenge of *coughpleasingthemediaandmarkingofgolefttorightcause,gasp,it’sthewaypeoplereadoverhere,don’twannaconfuseanyonelolcough* I mean….
….Drawing left to right. Cause that shows how flexible that artist is. :3 So everyone chill~ and lets your best!~~~

Tsuki

I’ll say it again : PLEASE UMINEKO!!
> w < //
I hope you will fin the rest of the HIGURASHI series,too
I LOVE IT or how I say it in Germany "Ich liebe es "!
o(^ w ^)o

Hackwolfin

@Christopher and Shaku
ummm…what happened to the no flaming thing? please cold down, i mean both of you r right in different ways and i see both of your points. anyways, yes manga was made first in japan and all japenese write/read right to left, but there r people who r not who write right to left! like this person blackbird.ashen-ray.com , and yes most americans write left to right. but like i said in the beginning, write it left to right then, if you get in, asked to change it!

Hackwolfin

@Shaku,
do u like to write manga right to left? a lot of stuff going on over a question… i know you werent trying to flame him, but people can take things the wrong way! like so, if you r doing the contest, i hope your good, coz if you click my link, u can see my work from, like, 6 months ago.
and now… what kinda story r you doing? i wanta get off this flaming thing and show people my work.

Sorrano

Just to be mean, there actually is american made manga that is intentionally printed the Japanese way.
I know, I think it’s stupid too.

Christopher

@Hackwolfin & kiria & says
Lol I have already started my manga left to right haha i can draw right to left left to right it dosent matter really. This all started when I just asked why we have to do it left to right and shakus comment about ( cause your not in japan got to me. Because so many people have said Americans can’t draw manga! Witch is not true and he was saying a right to left manga is not a manga it is a graphic novel witch is half true. It is a manga and it is also a graphic novel. I was never complaining about the rules I was asking the reason why. I just wanted to know why. Lol plus like I said iv already started it left to right so it’s all good. I wish everone luck who is entering!

snow_bandit

@Kiria
yes I agree with you as well. I personally can do both left and right so it doesn’t matter to me. I am just thankful to recieve such a great opportunity. Who all is taking on this challenge?

Hackwolfin

@Christopher
LOLOLOLOL~
I started too~ and I’m on page 9 right now, and a lot of my friends at school think i can make it!
what page r u on? and whats ur story about?
My story is about a guy main character looking for his older brother, no detail for u because ppl may steal my idea. It’s an action mangs too~
@sachiko
your link is not found…

@Christopher
Ah~ So k then. xD Just seemed like everyone was getting so worked up. It really shouldn’t matter which way you read a manga no matter where it’s from. As long as it’s enjoyable. <3 I look forward to reading your(&everyones) manga at some point christopher. ;v;
I keep drawing a blank for the storyboards lol.*fails* So I'm making two submissions cause I'm lame like that. Everyone is so ahead. ;v; *stares at character charts*

Christopher

@hackwolfin
Sweet! its awsome to here about someone else entering and where there at! yea im only on page 4 of my story board but i can finish it in two days haha its just theres been alot going on with mes lol im in the prosses of moving to a bigger apartment XD
Yea i know what you mean! i would never steal an idea though, that will get you no where. hmmm your story sounds cool though. my story is hard to explain its one of thoughs if i say anything it will almost give away the story and the twist.
By any cance do you have a deviant art?

snow_bandit

I wonder how many action genres will be submitted? (i’m sort of going for a supernatural,action,mystery) Also I wonder if those that are contacted will recieve their own individual editor to work with? The suspense is killing me!
well…back to work..

Kiria

@snow_bandit:
Wow, that’s great! It’s nice that you’re so good at storytelling. I also think a great story will be a great story, no matter what format it’s in. Unfortunately, it seems like people get so hung up on the details, they forget that drawing comics is supposed to be a fun thing. I know I get excited when I think up new comic ideas and sketch character designs on margins of my notebook in class. xD
But I’m ecstatic about this opportunity too! I can’t wait until Yen Press releases the official rules so I can get started. πŸ˜€ It’s hard to decide which of my ideas I’ll draw, but I’m definitely going for the action genre as well.
Good luck to you in the competition!

JAVM

I am also going to be entering in the contest this year. I’ve written my story three times changing the entire thing. It can be amazing the process of manga and comics. It is also good to see how everyone else is doing so far.

snow_bandit

@Kiria
Thanks so much πŸ™‚ Before I became an artist I was a writer, one day I stumbled upon manga and 6 years of drawing and pen practice led me to want to become a mangaka.I would have never even dreamed that an opportunity like this would be so close haha.-What sort of styles do you all draw in? I for one am a big fan of Bishounen style :)Also what sort of artists are you guys inspired by? My top three are: Kazue Kato, Obata Takeshii, and Hiromu Arakawa(Ao No Excorsist,Bakuman,FullMetal Alchemist

Ranmao

Hello~~~
Omamori Himari vol.5 was awesome <333
I'm so much happy of you releasing Higurashi, Madoka, Himari, Black Butler, Usagi Drop and Maximum Ride. I have all the volumes of them~!
And I've got a question – could u licence thoese series:
-Umineko When They Cry
-Bakemonogatari Novels
-Gosick (manga and novel)
-Steins; Gate
-DURARARA (novel)
-Deadman Wonderland
-Kodomo no Jikan
-Shiki
-School Days
-Yosuga no Sora
-any yuri or shoujo-ai manga
-Gakuen Nightmare
-Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
Yeah, I know, quite a lot. But any of them will make me so much happy ^^ Will buy them πŸ™‚
And BTW, how many volumes Max will have?
Thanks for reading ^^

Kiria

@snow_bandit:
Wow, six years of drawing?! You must be pro by now. I caught on late to the manga/anime bandwagon, so I’ve only been seriously at it for about a little less than 3 years. Figures why art and I still have a love/hate relationship. xD
I’m in love with the shounen genre, so I guess my style reflects that haha. I just love the crazy character designs that the shounen genre is famous for.
In terms of writing and character development, Hiromu Arakawa is my favorite hands down. To this day FMA is my favorite series, and nothing else out there has quite satisfied me like it did when I finished all the volumes. I love how the author explored various aspects of the human condition in FMA, and that depth is something I want to emulate in my comics. FMA is so great!
In terms of art, I’d say Miwa Shirow is my idol. There’s just something about the black and white artwork in DOGS: Bullets and Carnage that I enjoy so much. You can tell the author really has a feel for the medium.
Kazue Kato and Obata Takeshi are awesome too, can’t deny that! Ao No Exorcist and Death Note are definitely up there on my list of favorite manga.
Just wondering, but are you guys thinking of using pen names (if we’re allowed to)?

Jellorific

Seconding Ranmao’s requests.
You would have a firm grasp on my wallet if you licensed half of that list.

blah

@Abby, will you post the guidelines on the website later? or they will be available only for subscribers and in print?
thank you.

snow_bandit

@Kiria
Wow I hadn’t heard of DOGS before, so i checked it out…FANTASTIC! I can see why you like it, really great stuff. Anywho, I also love shounen, action is etched into my very being lol so my stories always have a large bit of it, but in the right places of course. Oh and I am no where close to ‘Pro’ haha i haven’t quite reached the level of expertise that I desire, lets get there together!( I don’t know what my pen name would be….hmmm…..)

Arrow

Ah disregard my question. I read the guidelines and found my answer lol ^^
I aimed to send a one-shot in last year but didn’t meet the deadline. I’ve improved a lot since then so will definitely give this year a shot.

tg

…..
I’m just going to rely slightly on the previous guidelines just to get an idea of this until YP posts their new guidelines.
*waits patiently*

Allen

The will probably post them on the 14th or 15th. Usually thats when they update their magazine.