Sweeten up your Valentine’s Day with YEN PLUS!

There are plenty of fish in the sea. Hopefully you’ve snagged your one true love and are looking forward to a wonderful Valentine’s Day! And by your one true love, I mean YEN PLUS magazine! Captain Aron and his crew of pirates(?) lead off a fleet of brand-new chapters from your favorite YEN series. Plus, we have a special short story from Gossip Girl artist HyeKyung Baek! (GG will be back next month!)

As always, we love to hear what you think! Please share your feedback here and enjoy this month’s issue of YEN PLUS magazine!!!

gabby

Thank you, I always look forward to Yen Plus, every month. I think i’m falling in love with “Milkyway Hitchhiking”!! I can’t wait for the book to come out in print.

Btw, I really appreciate the quality of YP’s books!!

katch

It seems like we are heading towards a situation where the government backed by billions in lobbying is going to start blocking ip adresses/websites which pirate things. I think that will do a lot to stop casual piracy like a lot of streaming/etc sites. Even if it won’t stop irc channels/less convenient methods.

I hope yen press/viz/tokyopop and the other manga publishers can work out some kind of universal manga site. This current “hey here are there 38 different places to get manga but only some titles and they only work on some devices, sometimes and the terms of use vary wildly” is really problematic.

I’m pinning my hopes on whatever it is the japanese manga publishers are planning with crunchyroll, if they can get one universal i-tunes-esque site up at the same time as the government starts pulling down piracy websites I think there is a good chance of strong digital growth.

Super Sachiko

good idea katch, i agree, thats what we need. there should be a big site for all manga, and you could buy gift cards for use on the site at a store like they do with itunes and other stuff.

Alice

I want to write my licence requesting:
-Umineko no naku koro ni by Ryukishi07
-Higurashi Massacre Arc and the other arc…
-Kore wa Zombie desu ka? (novel and manga)
-Gakuen Nightmare by Yutori Hojo
-Kodomo no Jikan by Watashiya Kaworu
-Book Girl manga

My_Nick

I want to write my licence requesting:
-Umineko no naku koro ni by Ryukishi07
-Higurashi Massacre Arc and the other arc… (all arcs in truth)
-Book Girl manga
[2]

If yenpress announce Umineko, i will die happy, really.

tukky

I want to write my licence requesting:
-Yumekui Merry by Yoshitaka Ushiki
-A Channel by bb Kuroda

gabby

@katch

I read an article on Ann.com a couple months ago, that crunchyroll.com that they might start legitimately hosting some manga titles. I don’t know how soon they’re going to do this, though.

RJ

Will the public ever see some of the selected New Talent Search works published, or was the search really just…a search?

I’d pay to see the selected creators’ work.

@Abby

Thank you I really appreciate it!! I just had been so impatiently waiting…it drove me crazy the first 2 week after I sent in the submission and a week ago I couldn’t take my mind off of it!! It’s such a crazy feeling…but pretty exciting at the same time!!~

I shall be stalking my e-mail like a mad dog from now!! XD

@abby

YenPress’s Staff will contact the artist by e-mail right? Woot! Just one more week till the end of Feb!!~

Allison

Okay, since others are giving their license requests, here’s mine:
It’s called Barajou no Kiss (or Kiss of Rose Princess). It’s very shoujo-y, and I think a lot of fans will love it! :3

Thanks for listening~

I am totally excited~

can’t help myself but to say…FIVE MORE DAYS!!!

*runs around like an idiot!!*

kirikirimai

Regarding the submissions for the talent search, if there is no e-mail address provided is it possible for the selected author to be contacted through mail?

Lauren

Since everyone is throwing in licensing requests, heck, why not. Of course I’d love to see one of the Bungaku Shoujo manga series coming this way, but that all depends on how well the novels are selling, after all.

One of my favorites on the list for being picked up by you guys is definitely Otome Youkai Zakuro. It’s a seinen series cleverly disguised as a shoujo manga, and has the most wonderful character interactions and chemistry. And also, it’s by the author of well-known yaoi artist Lily Hoshino, who’s work already seems to be part of your catalogue. It’s also her first non-yaoi title, but a very pleasant one, at that! And seeing how you are slowly treading into the more historically-set stories by introducing us to A Bride’s Story, this could be a nice fit as well. So please, do consider it.

Some other great titles, but perhaps less easier to market, would be Arakawa Under the Bridge, as well as Saint Young Men by the same author. Especially the last one might be a bit hard to sell in the US. Other titles I have in mind are currently more likely or perhaps a have higher change to be picked up by other companies, since they seemed to be tied to certain contracts. Kuragehime, Amanchu! and Switch Girl come to mind.

@Abby

Yeah I’d been wondering about that too, contacting the winner by snail mail or by e-mail?

E-mail seems a bit faster…way faster, or you guys prefer contacting by snail mail? Or by phone?

(on a side note: 4 more days till the end of feb.)

Brandy W.

Awe my hope is withering, after today only 3 more days. I don’t know if YenPress contacted anyone but I haven’t got anything from them yet.

Wonder if they contacted anyone yet?

Yana

Probably, because they didn’t ask any information, and I myself didn’t write anything more than adress and name. xD
*Still hopes to see the results on Yen’s website*

NatRoze

I think the question already got posted, but are the talent search entries you guys choose going to be published? Otherwise, what’s going to become of them?

Rufino Marx

I’m quite sure they’ll contact by Email, anyways, everyone don’t worry if we don’t get selected, Yen press still accepts submissions so thats a plus. Keep at it~

~_~

KawaiiSummer

I wish the printed version of Yen+ would come back!I like the idea of having it online but i just wish that someday the printed version could come back somehow!:'(

Brandy W.

I do know that YenPress are accepting submissions with portfolios with resumes.

The thing for me is that I always wanted to enter a manga contest when I was in high school but I couldn’t produce one back then. Now that I can and the chance is yelling at me full force, being able to submit to a publishing company was a big accomplishment for me. When I was working on it didn’t matter if I won or not because I had one of the best time of my life just working on the comic. One of the best moments.

After submitting it, I realized that if I won it can possibly change my life. I am sure it applies to everyone who submitted.

The deal for me was that this was a one time thing. If I don’t win I just move on with life like this never happened. If I didn’t get picked then so be it. I think it will be years before I have the free time/chance to enter another manga contest.

As all the manga artists and those who entered this talent search knows…drawing manga is TIME CONSUMING…

That’s the reason why I am checking, looking for an update from YenPress constantly because the anticipation and waiting is killing me inside.

For the last 2 months I actually had something to look forward to, after Feb 28, Monday, that will all go away. Winning or losing this battle. =]

-Brandy

non

I’d like to see the Durarara!! novels licensed…
And I’ll second Barajou no Kiss. It’s “gorgeous” shojo manga.

Bryan Bradford

@ Brandy
What I loved about this contest was that it really pushed you to your hardest, and all of your perseverance paid off in the end with a finished product. Regardless of whether or not you win, all of us unpublished artist have the experience now to produce better manga.

NatRoze

I’ll second-second the Durarara!! series.

And also Brandy’s statement about this being potentially life-changing. I haven’t heard yet, but if it’s snail mail we’re being sent, then it could take a few days to get to me. I’m facing a major decision here that I’m going to end up making whether my entry is accepted or not (Yen+, listen carefully, loves.): regardless of whether my entry is accepted, I keep re-reading the project proposal guidelines. The only difference that will be made by whether or not my entry is chosen is at what point in time I’ll send a project proposal. If my entry is chosen, it’ll only be sooner.
But it’s still a decision that will change the direction my world is turning.
Today’s the last day of the month. Best of luck to us all.

@ Bryan

It was definitely an experience where we can learn and grow as a comic artist.

@ NatRoze

Yeah, it’s definitely one of those moments in life where there are paths where we have to make a decision to take a step onto that path or not. If we get chosen or not.

It’s definitely going to be life changing. Getting to do what you love as a career…what more can be awesome(er) than that!!

Yeah right now I am definitely hoping they are snail mailing the acceptance note/letter/etc. to the winners…or I am just hoping that they are behind on some paper works and are not able to contact the winners and are pushing it to a later date like….March?

Bryan Bradford

Thank you ,Abby. For letting us know the status on the Yen Press talent search. But just so everyone stops asking, is there anyway you can find out the means of communication to the winners? I’m sure just knowing that will calm down the entrants.

Hiera

So when will we know the winners of talent search?
And when will we know new Japanese titles?

Oh, I’m asking for too much, yes?

Morgan

Can I second (or third?) the Durarara!! novels? XD I lovelovelove that anime, and I’d really like to see an English adaption of the novels!

Cristina

just saw the latest yenpress update on the talent search! seems like that is good news for everyone who submitted!! we still got a chance of getting picked.

yeah i do hope they get everything done and ready to go by the end of march or earlier!!

i am super happy about this!

Cristina

also, i am glad they are giving us an update on the talent search because i also had been constantly checking the site on this. don’t worry guys we still got that hope but we just gotta wait a lil longer. still i wanna know soon, sooner the better right? ne?

thanks again yenpress for giving us all a chance to try to take one step closer to our dreams. =)

Bella

Um, where can we write our licence requests?
Ok, so maybe I can write it here.
So I want you to licence Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan (novel and manga). It’s a bloody comedy and it’s the best title I’ve ever read.
It’s my only wish. Hope you will listen.

Cristina

i was reading the comments and realized i also have the same question. how is yenpress going to contact the winners? i live at home where my mom usually checks the mail and a lot of times she just throws away them including mines. so if yenpress is mailing the winners i need to know so i can make sure my mom doesn’t throw anything away. =)

if yenpress is contacting by e-mail EVEN BETTER. =D

It is unlikely that we would contact anyone via traditional post. Email or phone would be our first choices, depending on what was provided.

Rufino Marx

I wonder how many people will be selected? 0.o are we going to be pittied againist eachother until there is the “one” *crazy stare*

Brandy W.

Haven’t checked the site since the last time I posted a comment. (Which was several days ago…)

AHHH!!
I saw the latest update and was and still very thrill!!! Part of me already given up checking but part of me was still hopeful!~

I am sooooo glad it was just delayed~~~~~~~~~

Awe~ e-mail and phone…..so much GOOD NEWSSSSS!!

THANK YOU YENPRESS & ABBY!!

Bryan Bradford

I have another question (sorry! D:)But, if yen press contacts us, what should we have prepared? I have an online portfolio, resume, and some story “names”. Is there anything we need, like a social security card to fax?

Cristina

hey bryan b. i am sure if yenpress contacts you, they will work with you on that. as of now i don’t think any of us should worry about that. as for the porfolio and etc. i am sure they would love to see it if you get chosen but if you don’t have one i am sure they wouldn’t take off brownie points because of it. after all our comic submission is our ticket. =)

Yana

Oh no, and I didn’t write nor e-mail, nor phone. Only my adress on envelope.
But I doubt that I will be selected anyway. (Q_Q)

Brandy W.

I AM OFFICIALLY glued to the monitor screen of my computer. Checking the site and my e-mail like I have OCD.

I am super anxious!!!!!!~

I can’t stop thinking about it, even when I am about to sleep!!!~

Jason L.

I would like to request a license, a manga called Gakuen Babysitters, the authors name is Hari Tokeino, and it is published in a monthly magazine in Japan called LaLa. Its a really good read, nothing to graphic, all ages can enjoy it, and it will attract alot of fans =) its one of those memorable manga series

Allison

Sorry to bother you again, YP~ but here are some more licensing requests! :3

-Yumekui Merry (or Dream Eater Merry)
-Bakemonogatari Light Novels
-Ookami-san no Shichinin no Nakamatachi Light Novels and Manga
-Rolan: The Forgotten King Light Novels (another Jun Mochizuki work!)
-Gate 7 (A CLAMP title)

Well, here are my suggestions~ I also say Barajou no Kiss (Kiss of Rose Princess) again! And maybe any of Aya Shouoto’s titles (like Stray Love Hearts).

Thanks for listening~ :3

Bryan Bradford

@ Yana
have faith in your work. Regardless of whether or not you get picked, take some pride in the fact that you finished a 32 page comic 🙂

Rufino Marx

Nice to see that they’re at least reading all of the stories that got submitted to them, not just looking thru the first couple of pages and throwing it out if it doesn’t look good, in retrospect I really wish I had heard about this talent search sooner and sent you guys something of more quality than the mess I pasted togeter in 2 weeks *shame* oh well, I want to see the next generation of artists, everyone good luck…

Bryan Bradford

@ Rufino Marx
I’m pretty sure that everyone wishes that they had more time to work on the project, and had done a better job. But I’m pretty sure that through all of your hardships you made something really great!

Has anyone uploaded their stories to a site?
I’ve only read “At My Job” and “Crimson Rose (I forgot what it was called).
If anyone would like to meet up on deviant art, my user is “blueyoshimenace”, I would like to hear everyones experience with the contest, and maybe get to read your stories! 🙂
we can share tips, and someone can give me tips on screentones

Yana

@ Bryan Bradford
Thanks, I still haven’t lost hope. ^^ I had great time drawing my one shot, though it’s only 30 pages long. Good luck to all of us! 😀

And also I want to ask: Can I post my work on the net?( like DA)

Brandy W.

I hope they contact the winners soon because I really need to get a job……

A life changing job or a boring deadbeat job. HAHA!!

@Rufino

Yeah I wish also wish I had ore time on it.

@ Yana

Yeah I think you can. I saw Bryan’s comic and it was posted on Dev Art.

@ Bryan

BTW Bryan your comic submission looks really awesome!!
Yeah that sounds like a great idea. I would really like to see others works too!!

D-Gold

licensing requests.

Kami Nomi zo shiru sekai(the world god only knows)(manga)
toaru majutsu no index(light novels)
hidan no aria(light novel and manga)

Brandy W.

Just wondering if anyone got any news from YenPress yet?
Anyone got contacted yet?

@ Bryan Bradford

I’m not worried if I don’t get selected(which I won’t), I’m already working on another pitch, taking my time drawing it out to make it publish-able etc. Drawing comics is very time consuming, but I decided to make a career of it, because it’s what I love to do, art and music have always been my passion, and I can’t wait till I have my first volume of my series in my hands, soon I hope…

Brandy W.

@ Rufino & Bryan & who ever submitted.

Since you guys wanted to make a career out of drawing comics, currently right now are you guys in college or unemployed or employed or in highschool?

I am asking this out of curiosity because none of us are professional paid comic artists yet.

Lisa

I hope Yen isn’t waiting to complete Higurashi before they license Umineko. D:

Higurashi still has three more answer arcs to go after Eye Opening, and they’re 17 volumes when combined. That’s almost three years of waiting. D:

Umineko isn’t a sequel to Higurashi so you don’t have to worry about it spoiling the ending. They ran side-by-side in Japan…

Cristina

nope haven’t heard anything from yenpress yet. Lucky rufino, I’ve got school and work so i can’t be working on another submission, comic, project whatever. i wish i could.

My_Nick

I agree with Lisa. I hope that YenPress announces Umineko soon. The two first arcs are already complete, with 9 volumes. Until here gets at vol 9, being quarterly, the next arcs should be complete at time.

Allison

I know everyone is wishing for Umineko to be licensed, so here’s my opinion:
It would be great if YP licensed Umineko, but it’s no big deal if they don’t. I mean, they already have tons of other books to deal with, so if they did Umineko too, a lot of other books we like will be put off and such. (As in, released later than usual).
Of course, YP would do an excellent job on Umineko, but I wouldn’t be mad at them if another company decided to take on Umineko instead. That way, YP wouldn’t have too much on their plate and you could have Higurashi and Umineko at the same time!
Ah…did that make sense? XD Just my thoughts~

NatRoze

@Brandy:
High school and unemployed. I’ve got all the time in the world… just so long as my teachers can’t see me drawing under the desk.
And yourself?

Brandy W.

I am becoming so restless!!
Checking the site and my e-mail like a crazy animal…

I must admit the last 2 months has been the slowest month of my life…I thought it would all end by the end of Feb. BUt I guess not….ever since I found out Yenpress has not contacted the winners yet…YES I am RESTLESS AGAIN!!

What stinks it’s we don’t know when they will contact the winners by…..for the people who submitted we have to like stalk the site and e-mail like crazy. Hoping everyday.

*refreshes page*

Okay I should really keep myself busy for the rest of the month…and not think about this Talent Search…

@ NatRoze

I got work. Which doesn’t leave me much time to draw. But if somehow I make it, it would be one of those life changing moments for me.

AND ALSO…

I am glad YenPress haven’t contact the winners yet. At least I know I still got a chance. But the other part of me just want to know…..did I make it or not!!

I just need to know so I can move on with my life…

Ugh…I am such a fail.

cetriya

@Brandy

in collage, searching for work while taking commissions and working the con scene.

while yen is making their decisions, I’m working on other projects or client works.

Bryan Bradford

@Brandy
I’m 19, and I’m a supervisor at Jamba Juice. I had to take a week off of work to finish the comic, so if this goes through, I can quit and dedicate the whole month to finishing a chapter, instead of rushing and skipping over details

MAYY

Patience is a virtue we must all learn…

I also have licensing requests.
Durarara (light novels)
Ore no Im?to ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (light novels)
?kami-san to Shichinin no Nakamatachi (light novels as well)

🙂

My_Nick

@Allison: In fact I don’t understand well your point, but i think it’s because of my lack in english language…
But I don’t think Umineko would make another series to delay… First there are at least 5 mangas to be over soon. And it’s not like YP will release nothing more…

About other company getting Umineko… Is it possible since Umineko is a Square Enix title?

*sorry my confuse speech*

Rufino Marx

Well, I was out of the country for about a year, so I guess I’m recently unemployed, as I left my job when I came back home in December, draw every waking moment everyone if you wanna make it screw games and other distractions for the mean time, make a schedule for working on comics and illustrations, keep trying new things and don’t give up. That’s the key to make it in the comic biz…at least that what I hope lol *fail*

Yana

@ Brandy W.
I’m still at high school, I’ve got plenty of time for drawing though I have exams this year..xD

Allison

@My Nick: Sorry, maybe I was not being clear! >^<
You might be right, if YP does licenese Umineko. But it's not like Umineko will be the only new title they release (if the time comes), they will have maybe five more newer pieces to work on, too.

I don't know how the manga licensing process goes XD but let's just hope someone will pick up Umineko soon? :3

Hiera

@Lisa

If Yen Press is going to issue ALL Higurashi Arcs (like Hirukowashi-hen, Kokoroiyashi-hen, Kataribanashi-hen and Saikoroshi-hen, and and…) it will take about 5 years.
So I hope too Yen Press won’t wait for end of Higurashi.. I want Umineko now!

KaiyouNoYume

I’m just wondering, but is YenPress going to be attending New York City’s Anime Festival (NYAF)? 8D

NatRoze

Maybe if I get published early enough, I won’t need to finish high school >w> that’d be really neat.
(although whether or not my parents will agree with the neatness of it is another matter entirely >_>)

Arc

@Allison/My_Nick

I believe My_Nick is correct; another company getting Umineko is very unlikely due to it both being a Square Enix title and that Yen Press is already publishing the original series. Companies in general are going to be extremely wary about licensing a spin-off series to a different company, especially when there is already a solid fanbase for the YP editions (and that doesn’t even count the legal contracts!).

Well, as everyone else is throwing out licensing requests, I suppose I might as well suggest the “Warning, Raccoon!!” manhwa. It seems utterly adorable. Though Ginga Legend Riki (Nihon Bungeisha title) would be amazing, too. Though connected to a larger story, it, being a prequel, doesn’t require any real knowledge of the series. And it’s only a volume long. And it’s about dogs.

Awe~
I see everyone has got their own little thing going on. That sounds great.

I hope we get to know who the winners are soon. =]
From what I see and heard so far, it seems like a lot of people entered this talent search. Wow, I am super excited again now, so many talented artists submitting to YenPress.

Brandy W.

Another curious question, how long does it take for each of you to complete a page? How complete? I mean like ready to publish complete.

It takes me at least 6~9 hours from drafts to finish pages.

Tyler

I know a lot of people are requesting the Durarara!! novels, but I overwhelmingly prefer Baccano! by the same author. That’s quality material right there and it amazes me that it hasn’t been picked up yet.

Allison

@Arc: I understand now! It makes sense. :3 Thank you for clearing it up~!

adr

@Brandy W

Hard to say. Depends on how complex the action on the page is.

Roughly speaking, a page took me a working day (8 hours) although I’m sure I need to learn to go faster.

However, I’ve compartmentalized my process (do all pencils on all pages first, do all inks, then do tones) so that estimate might be off.

It blows my mind when I hear professionals are handing four or five pages a day, sometimes. Although that might just be inks.

@ Brandy W

A page every two days roughly for decent artwork, I do the concepts before hand for the entire chapter. although, I did about 6 pages every two days during I was rushing to finish the entry to the talent search, you can guess how aweful the artwork was. TTATT

Neath

I know that there’s an overwhelming amount of licensing requests.

But I really would like Yen Press to consider trying to obtain the manga series “Girl Friends” by Milk Morinaga. (complete with honorifics if possible!)
It’s already been licensed outside of Japan in Taiwan, France, and Russia (if that counts for anything).

It only spans 5 volumes and I absolutely know that a great number of people here in the US & other English-speakers/readers would LOVE to see this in a physical legible format.

I implore you guys to really consider this – or at least let me know if this series has even the slightest chance at being licensed (by ANYBODY) in English-speaking countries.

Thank you! – and here’s to hoping these comments actually do get a decent perusal. 🙂

Brandy W.

Yeah it does take a lot of time to produce one page.

I am glad it’s not just me, I thought I was just slow. LOL!!

Yeah some professional bust out many pages a day but don’t they also have assistance?

Myth

I believe I’ve written comments on the Yen Plus reader before, but I’m mentioning it again, because at this point it makes sense for me to unsubscribe and just buy the individual books. I like AAA, but the comics are too small to easily read in the reader and I have a lot of difficulty adjusting it. The reader interface has come to irritate me more and more. The animation is burdensome and I have a great deal of difficulty zooming and navigating the pages (but perhaps it’s just me). If Yen Press won’t take a hint from the free online readers, then take it from Adobe reader at least. It’s nice to be able to grab-navigate a page and be able to zoom instead of pick these different “sizes.”

Anyway, I do appreciate what Yen Plus has brought us as far as material. I see that there is now a iPad app. That seems like a cool idea. I hope someday YP will look into Android.

adr

@ Brandy W

Pros also lack a day job that isn’t drawing pages. 🙂

Gawd, I wish *I* had assistants.

MAYY

@Brandy W

It takes me roughly about 2-3 hours to complete one page. As you keep going it gets easier and easier.

My_Nick

Girlfriends would be perfect. I’m wanting to read this manga a long time ago. I would buy without thinking.

(btw, they got a drama cd, hope an anime soon)

hikaru

@Tyler: Yes! I prefer Baccano to Durarara as well, but I would love to see both licensed. In fact, anything by Ryogo Narita would be awesome, I was upset when I learned about Seven Seas discontinuing their light novel line (no Vamp! T_T), and I’ve read good things about the Hariyama-san series (I think it was on Andrew Cunningham’s blog?). Crossing my fingers for more light novel licenses!

Cristina

seems like everyone works in a pretty fast pace. it takes me 1~2 days to complete a page.

hey MAYY, i would really wanna see your stuff! 2~3 hours that’s amazing, you must be pro. did u post your pages up online? i really really wanna see it.

Bryan Bradford

@adr
dude. If you get assistants, make sure you’re comfortable with their artstyle first. My friend kyle help me for one page (he’s another artist) and I screamed at him for not using a ruler on the background! urg. Assistants are great my comic group “Bang Pow” has four members, me being artist, Nia doing story (not any more *tear tear*), Rory doing clean up, text, and errand running, and Kayliegh on some speedlines (she’s new at them).

Can I ask everyone for some advice on screentones? I’ve got my own flow working with ink and pencils. But I’ve never used screen tones. Does everyone use manga studios? Or do they pixelate in photoshop?

Cristina

hahahaha! what’s with everyone and their stay in school speech? i finished highschool, but if i could i would drop out. highschool was a waste of my time and life. i swore i could of done something more useful than wasting my life there. you guys are hilarious!!

@ Cristina

Lol dude I dropped out and moved to another country, in retrospect I should have stayed in school and studied to be a Sound Engineer or something related to music. Instead of “omfg manga is sooo kawaii I’ma be the best mangaka in the world(this with never seriously drawing before besides stick figures), japan this, japan that, sugoi~.” I don’t regret it but I wish I had thought out things better, or at least started drawing when I was younger, not in 2006 when I started, TTATT and ‘sides isn’t comics and manga slowing dying? terrible career choice lol BUT~! it is fun to pretend to be a “mangaka” I’ve been pretending since ’07 been working hard since then and I guess I could say I draw decently (a 4 on a 1 to 10 scale). I really want to make money off my projects but it’s hard in this economy with publishers no longer accepting submissions and bookstores in trouble, but, I’m just going to have to stick to it just a bit more, but not much more…9_9

TL:DR
“Mangaka is a terrible career choice, stay in school and get a real career”

@ MAYY

Lol you must not lag it at all n_n I would like to say I draw fast but I lag it like you’ve never seen, in theory taking my time and staying focused I could do 4 pages every 2 days of good art, but I lag it

Brandy W.

Being a Manga Ka is not something you choose to be. When it happens it happens.

Because being a mangaka is like wanting to be Justin Bieber…only one in a billion…million…KACHILLION!!! XD

Of course we have to work for it when chances presents themselves.

I also felt like I could of done life without highschool that’s for sure. XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Brandy W.

Found out about YenPress’s talent search 3 months and 11 days ago and sent in my submission a month later.

Since then it has been 2 months and 11 days.
Waiting everyday for an answer…

I really hope they contact someone by the end of the month or earlier…WHICH IS EVEN BETTER.

If not…at least let me know I didn’t make it.

Back to the making a career being mangaka….also I do feel like manga is not as popular as it used to be. That anime/manga craze kind of die down.

MAYY

Well I only had three weeks left so I didn’t have time to get distracted! xD lol I’m no pro at all! At first it took me a while, but as I went on it got a little easier. But then the time you take on a page depends on the amount of detail you put in it, ya know? And I don’t think I put much detail on mine! xDD;

If you wanna take a look, here. http://may-kibou.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/d36flv5

STAY IN SCHOOL AND FINISH SCHOOL. Being a mangaka is like a gamble. You never know if your manga will make it or not. Sad truth. o ^o;

I’m a junior in high school btw. = w=;;

Cristina

eww highschool regardless, i learn nothing besides people picking on each other and creating drama…and babies!!

it’s sad but it’s the truth. i would of done well without highschool. yeah i know, we should study a major and get a good job and on the side hoping to live the dreams of being a manga ka.

but if you guys are serious of being a manga ka then you will probably have to sacrifice A WHOLE LOT more and than that day time job that is paying off your bills or the college you are attending that would actually get you a real job. i’m just saying. =]

Bryan Bradford

@ Everyone
OMG OMG
I just got my first G-pens from overseas, and I highly recommend it! it has such great line quality and you really get control over what you are inking. If you use dip pens, then G-pens are the mangaka way to go :D. Also, we should form a group on deviantart called “Talent Search Survivors” if we don’t make it, because all of you guys seem way cool and I’d still like to hear from you guys after the contest is over <3

@ mayy

I dig your art, it’s pretty detailed good job keep at and you could be a successful mangaka, lol dude I STARTED drawing junior year, you got me beat I couldn’t draw like that junior year ;_;

@ Brandy W

My high school was pretty tight I never heard about bullying or stuff like that, but then again I was too busy doing stupid things to notice 9_9; I dunno I’m gonna submit in about a 3 weeks or so, I messed up I kept drawing on regular 8×11 paper this whole time and the art looked messy, but now I’m drawing on standard manga paper and the art look soooo much cleaner near pro level, anyway I’m submitting to Yen and a publisher outside of the US hope someone whats my terrible stories/art lol cuz I’m not going to be selected for the talent search… u_u

@ Bryan Bradford

Bro, where did you order the pens Akadot is in Cali so you don’t have to order overseas, and yeah I agree we should make a group, but for the moment I’ve taken a leave from dA so I’ll join later…

Brandy W.

I got those G-pens when I went to Japan 2 years ago. They are nice but they run out and dries really fast!!

Mines turn dry and hard after a few weeks? Or a few months? I forgot but it dried up REAL fast!!

Brandy W.

Alright I’d finally officially ground myself from this site till the end of March!!!

It’s like I have some kind of syndrome where I can’t stop refreshing or checking YenPress and my e-mail!! It kills me everyone when I see no update on the Talent Search…
I will come back on April 1st then.
I gotta focus on other things in my life besides checking YenPress’s site. See you all in 2.5 weeks!!

NatRoze

@ Rufino Marx: I’m staying in school, don’t worry. I actually like school. Finals week always makes me wanna drop out.

@Brandy: The time it takes me to finish a page depends on how detailed it is/how many panels are on it. It usually takes me about 3 hours to draw a page, 1 to ink it, and 2 or 3 to fix it on the computer and add in screentone and text and such.

@Bryan Bradford: A Deviantart group sounds like a wonderful idea; I’d love to keep in touch with everyone too ^-^

Muffin

Ditto what Yana said! D: Here’s hopping we(and *cough* ‘Moonlit Live Love’ *cough*) has a chance still! d???b …..And that Yenpress might use snail mail to contact some ppl.(?)

Rufino Marx

If I were an editor reviewing these submissions having a hard time choosing the winners, I’d ask whoever I thought had potential to write me another short story, to futher show me their ability. But that just me. 9_9;

Brandy W.

Alright I can’t help but to un-grounded myself…

Brandy W.

I wish somebody can just give me an exact date to just give up waiting for an answer?

By the end of March?
By the end of April?
By the end of May?

In half a year?

By the end of this year?

I need a hint…

Brandy W.

Okay i just realized something…I am taking all that back…

“I AGREE WITH Rufino Marx, pick a winner or just ask the potential winners to come up with something else like an illustration for a book cover or check their online gallery?

I am not so sure about having us do another one shot comic…because we already turn in one as our submission, it will be just weird…”

Yenpress is going to contact all the artists that they like. There is no one winner…wow I am SOO SLOW…

Bryan Bradford

You know, it would have been cool to have had the contest in rounds. So that you could see who could dish out the art as fast you want for a normal publication, and plan chapters too

@Bryan

It would of been cool. But isn’t it a little late for them to ask us to do that? I mean they never mention it in the first place?

Brandy W.

Hmmmm…it seems like a lot of submitter is checking the YenPress site for an update on the talent search not just me…seems like a lot of you guys check everyday?

Brandy W.

I wonder if YenPress found a comic that is good enough for publishing?

Cuz they are only offering contracts if they like it. They also have a choice to not pick anyone…

Hmmmm…?

Rufino Marx

Now I dunno what their plan was, to find one or a handful of diamonds in the rough, but I’m sure only a handful of submissions have gotten their attention so far, less than 10 I’d say. at this point they’re either still reading submissions or debating about who they should choose, that’s why I say they should make them draw up another one-shot, preferably with a genre of Yen’s choosing, just to see your flexibility. I say this because I couldn’t send Yen something that shows my full potential, and I’m just itching to prove myself. Q A Q

Muffin

@Marx ~> If they did do that, I would think a theme or something would be in order or something.*Wishful thinking* I don’t think they do things this way at all. If you have one chance to prove yourself it should be the first.~ Don’t ch’a think? D:

Hmmmm I kind of agree with Muffin~

I wouldn’t suggest them asking us doing another comic on round two…if they have a round two I rather them asking us for a book cover illustration or look at our online site or something??

adr

@Marx The problem I’d have with having an additional round is that it changes the parameters of the original New Talent Search solicitation. It’s like being in a chess tournament and playing to the finals, only to have the rules changed so that checkmate doesn’t mean victory.

Well, maybe that analogy wasn’t the greatest, but if they were to do rounds of submissions, I’d think you’d get a lot of upset people unless the ‘multiple-submission round’ structure was explicit from the beginning.

On another note, maybe Yen Press should set up an online forum so we could keep these conversations threaded? 😀

@Rufino

Yeah it’s been sooo long…even I am a bit confused about how they are going to choose the winners…

Other than that I REALLY REALLY hope they choose somebody soon, this is driving me restless!!

@adr

I was about to say that also & I do agree. I won’t have a problem with them changing the game halfway but I am sure it will upset a lot of people.

Let’s just drop the idea that they will ask the finalist to show or do additional works. Let’s just wait for the results and maybe on the next Talent Search?

Brandy W.

Just letting everyone know I am still waiting for YenPress’s result for the Talent Search…

Did anyone get contacted yet?!

That would be crazy…
We would have been waiting all this time for no reason…

HMMMMM…

If they picked someone, even if it’s not me I wouldn’t feel so bad…

Brandy W.

But that can’t be it?! You will choose someone for sure right? That’s why they are taking a while to announce it because they FOUND something good?!

I haven’t gave up yet I am still hopeful…please pick someone soon!! By the end of March?

Cristina

huh, haven’t checked the site for a week. still no response or new update on the talent search.

Cristina

huh, i guess it really doesn’t bother me when they contact the winners, because even if i do get pick i still got school. i am currently in school this semester and already planned to take summer and fall semester continuously, so i can get them done and over as soon as possible…XD school really isn’t my thing.

aaaa…anyhow if they didn’t pick anyone, wow then our submission really isn’t at standard for publishing!! XDD

Rufino Marx

I think publishers in America have high standards towards OEL also due to the fact maybe regular manga readers won’t read something not drawn in japanese level perfection, dunno. I also really never read an OEL I really loved, but that’s just me.

Brandy W.

Yeah I agree with Bryan, giving us an estimate time helps us or at least helps me to stop checking the site so often hoping to see an update on the Talent Search.

NatRoze

If they pick my submission, despite the fact that I’m still in school, I still think I have the capacity to produce a monthly series-type thing anyway… it just depends on what classes I choose, because I just have to pick ones taught by people that don’t care if I draw in class >w>

Brandy W.

Rufino does have a point and I also agree too. I rarely found any OEL I actually like and follow. So I guess we were expected to draw at a Japanese Level in order to really make it to standard level. Wow this contest is becoming more and more complicated to me!! *sobs in a corner*

Cristina

regardless high standards are not, if they like someone’s work they will send them a contract giving them a shot into the manga business. many great manga artists now in japan didn’t start with great drawings………..some are actually kind of crappy, no offense. (some are really crappy XD) from what i know is as long as you can draw something and come up with an awesome storyline you are set.

but i am sure the contract will state something like you have to sell a certain of copies or become popular within a time frame, then it’s for sure you will be drawing for a while.

if you fail to reach the goals (within a couple of months or maybe even a year) then you get fire or something. overall yenpress doesn’t lose much except paying you your monthly check/s (which is probably not a big deal), since their monthly manga is online now (not wasting paper and ink and shipping boxes).

oh one more thing REAL QUICK, is that :

If things didn’t work out:
=the artist might need to rethink about their career choice.
=yenpress loses the money they pay the artist their salary.
=yenpress might lose some more money if they printed the manga and no one buys it.

If things works out:
=the artist gets to keep their job and maybe this might be the beautiful beginning of being a manga artist.
=if the series gets popular both the artist and yenpress will earn a lot of $$$.
=series getting known is also a great way to advertise your company’s name in our case, yenpress.
=A NEW HOPE FOR OEL MANGA ARTISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
=Now people in the U.S. and other countries will have a BETTER shot at being a manga artists.
=Maybe other companies might even start holding manga contests again.

@ Cristina

About Japanese artists though, I’ve heard companies over there develop talent in the rough, by short stories etc, plus there are alot of weekly and monthly magazines in Nippon. They’re abit forced to develop talent because they can’t just rely on manga coming from Japan like the rest of the world, and most of the manga licenced in the world outside Japan already has somewhat of a following thanks to scans/fansubs so they really don’t have to go all out to advertise it, there’s where non-Japanese manga gets stuck, publishers don’t want to risk it, it’s a gamble. I like Yen cuz it has a monthly magazine, which is rare these days.
Hopefully the economy picks up again so more companies can take more risks

Brandy W.

That does make me feel a bite better as of now. It’s reassuring to know this, thanks Cristina.

Just one more week till the end of March, I hope we can get an update on the Talent Search again or they finally start to contacts the winners, EVEN BETTER!!
*jumping in glee!!*

Cristina

yeah, it’s really competitive in Japan to become a manga artist. Many new manga artists are featured in their weekly issues once and then disappear and never heard again. if you ever went to a Japanese bookstore in Japan there is SOOO MUCH manga artists/series/titles/style you never saw translated in America because it was just not popular enough or appealing enough. it’s because it’s such a big part of their culture in Japan they actually have 2 year prep colleges for being a manga artist.

like i said before it’s a super competitive industry in Japan as competitive as the entertainment business in Korea for the singers and actors. what’s funny they both have in common is that they do take in new artists and train them from step one to see if they got a shot in succeeding. even with it being so competitive some of the manga contains really crappy art. XD because for american comics (like DC & marvel) our artists are hired at a higher skill level than in japan.

yeah i do agree, fan-subs/scans plays a big part for the japanese mangas. i know for sure if it wasn’t for fan-subs/scans as a kid i would never got into manga/anime.