TWILIGHT: THE GRAPHIC NOVEL

TWILIGHT: THE GRAPHIC NOVEL, VOL. 1 ON SALE TODAY!

The suspense has been building for weeks, and at last the day has arrived! Young Kim has done a beautiful job bringing Stephenie Meyer’s familiar characters to life in this new medium, and Stephenie herself has been involved at every stage of the process, making sure this adaptation is as true to her original inspiration as possible. Whether you’re a fan of the novels making your first foray into graphic novels, a veteran comic reader wondering what the Twilight buzz is all about, or a devoted fan of both, we hope you enjoy volume one of Twilight: The Graphic Novel!

Liz

IMO, the Twilight fangirls will eat this up. 350,000 copies? Selling those will be a piece of cake.
And THEN the profits from this success can go towards manga, light novels, and other things. Yen has cooked up the ultimate scheme to world domination, muhahaha!
Well not really, but hopefully this’ll allow Yen to expand to the Viz/Tokyopop level.

Albright

Yay, now maybe people can actually *read* it before ranting on blogs and forums about how much it sucks!
I wouldn’t ordinarily have any interest in this, but with all the fuss that has surrounded it… maybe I’ll take a peek.

MichaelJ

Despite protests from a certain camp, I think Twilight would be brilliant as a manhwa. Any extras in them? That would make the comics that much more appealing. 😀
P.S. Everyone should check out “The Host.” That’s my fav from Meyers.

Richard J.

I can’t say I’m really interested but I don’t hate Twilight either and I’m very happy Yen Press is putting this out. I think it will sell like mad (at least I hope it does) and I REALLY want some of that money to go toward other projects. Yen Press has some of the best manga around and they are the only ones I trust with light novels now.
Keep up the good work and please use this Twilight manga to get a few of Ms. Meyers fans to check out some of your other wonderful titles!

Murloc

I like the art on the cover so I might flip through it.
I have no real interest in Twilight, but I’m sure this will sell with no problems whatsoever.

Jason05

First I got to say, I read the books and saw the movie. In my opinion, this is the best out of the three! I found the books to be bore after a while and the movie… well that was a complete joke (I laughed 3/4ths of the time). But this was actually very interesting. I don’t mind picking up vol. 2.
To all Yen Press lovers, I say pick it up. The art is amazing, and the character designs were well done! Plus supporting yen press never hurts. 😀
This is definitely great news because the money Yen makes can go to many other nice stuff for the upcoming years.

Arc

Meh, read the books, saw the first movie, read some interviews…Decided the writing was bad, characters flat, relationships horrid…But it’s not like that’s a stranger to the world of literature, especially manga.
I won’t be picking this up, but I know the copies will sell. And then Yen can work towards publishing other series I enjoy. It’s a smart move to make comic adaptations of popular book series as far as marketing goes–while they are eaten up by their respective fanbase, we get our series, and new fans of manhwa, manga, or even manhua might be born.

Nicole

This looks great, and I love the art for Twilight. But I was wondering, will this come out in paperback? From my experience, I find it a more enjoyable experience reading books in paperbacks rather than hardcover. Not sure if I’ll get a response, but I hope to hear from Yen Press.

Rachel

LOVE IT!!!! its really good, am in the middle of reading it, hopes there will be a volume 2, the drawings are sooooo beautifull =]

Sekai

I skimmed through it today at my local Books a Million. I have to say the art is quite beautiful and the apart lettering problems were not. The words flowed nicely. I except there to be 8 books for the whole series? 2 for each original book.

Fish

Bleh, all the twilight fans I know will think they’re so cool because they’re reading manga npw. At least Yen Plus will get some serious dough from this.

Selky

Read and watched the whole series to date, and not a fan of the awkward, shaky plot and bad characterization (at least the massive fanservice was decent) but I think this is a good business/bandwagon move for Yen Press. Viz Media’s Vampire Knight has been dominating the New York Times Manga Bestseller List for weeks now cuz of this vamp craze so might as well get when the getting’s good.
Keep the smart decisions going, YP! Rootin’ for ya! I’m crossing my fingers for more manga licenses from Japan’s GFantasy magazine. The one that serialized Nabari no Ou, Pandora Hearts, Crimson Shell, Black Butler, and Zombie-Loan. (can’t hurt to plug in what I want, right? lol)

Liz

YES, more GFantasy please! More specifically, Durarara!!, Torikago Gakkyuu, and Cuticle Detective Inaba. I also like Monokuro Kitan, but there’s only one volume of that released so far so I doubt it’ll be licensed any time soon.

torey

it from borders this friday it was 20.00 but they had a savings event so i got it 13.99 plus tax it 14.49 and i got a rewards card.Anyways, this novel is amazing there is not one person who dosen’t want to buy and read this book!

Katie

I just finished reading the graphic novel, and OME!!!! It was completely amazing. The drawings were beautiful, and they weren’t based on the movies, they had their own look. I can’t wait for the next one to come out!! I hope that they make graphic novels for all of the books in the Twilight Saga.

Tiffany

many twilight fans will be reading this, but i hope the know it is MANGA not a COMIC, and the can pronounce the word MANGA correctly. it drives me crazy when people prounounce it mane-ga not mahn-ga. then they act like big experts about it when they actually dont know what it is.
sorry about letting out my internal rant…. 🙂 but i skimmed through this one- it actually was not too bad! the colored pages surprised me- OMG SPARKLES!!! XD

Arc

Tiffany – Well…It wasn’t produced in Japan and was drawn by a Korean artist…So I’m pretty sure it doesn’t qualify as manga. It’s a graphic novel and, if anything, would be closer to manhwa.

bansheeblue13

Bought this at walmart the other day and I’m thoroughly impressed…this is just gorgeous! I thought the preview available online was a little misleading. It’s too bad all the hype around the twilight series really drives a lot of manga fans away, but it’s their loss…it’s a very good buy.

-T

@ Tiffany
“Manga”, “comic”, “manhwa” and “graphic novel” are all interchangeable and are used to describe the same things. (Except comic, which is typically used to describe smaller parts of a larger whole, but again, the meaning has changed over time and DOES in fact get used to describe what I would consider graphic novels.)
Manga IS graphic novels/comics, but it is the Japanese WORD to describe such.
Manhwa is the Korean likeness, and Manhua is the Chinese likeness.
Do not get caught up in titles. Yen calls them Graphic Novels (I assume) because it is a universal English term that encompasses all three foreign counterparts. A comic, as defined by Scott McCloud (not the master of comics mind you, but a good reference nonetheless) as:
“Juxtaposed pictorial and other images in deliberate sequence intended to convey information and/or to produce an aesthetic response to the viewer.”
This includes manga and the like.

Richard J.

They did color pages in this Tiffany? That’s actually pretty cool. From the comments here, Twilight fans may have actually gotten a decent graphic novel adaption of the books. (Wow, this might be the first adaption like this I’ve heard of that was actually PRAISED BY FANS!)
God I hope Yen Press keeps up the awesome work. I want them to keep doing well since that’s the only way I’ll ever get all of the Haruhi light novels. I hope Twilight fans who weren’t manga/anime fans before will find themselves trying out some of Yen’s other series after this one.

Anny

Just finished the Twilight Graphic Novel Vol 1 and really enjoyed it. Can’t wait to see Vol 2. The art was beautiful and the short version of the story so far keeps with the full book.

Rain

Herd it broke the record of how much you sold in a week. CONGRATS! and…..BACCANO! tahaaaaa i know what u can use that money for:
BACCANO!! DURARARA!! and i also like Monokuro Kitan (and a new suggestion; Chrome Break. Really like that manga)

Ginny

I’m really disappointed that Yen decided to join in on the Twilight bandwagon.

ShadowKit

Well, I can’t stand that series (you learn to hate it even more if you work at a bookstore ), however this was an excellent move for Yen Press. Congrats, guys. It officially sold more in it’s first week at the store I work at than Watchmen did when the movie first came out in theatres.
Hopefully, as other people have said, you guys will be able to use some of the money coming in to put out more series. I’m on the Durarara! bandwagon currently, and really want to see that one come over. Another one on my list is a series called ‘Doubt’, or ‘Rabbit Doubt’, and it’s a four volume work that’s already finished in Japan that I’ve been wanting to see over here. With the way my store has been selling out of other such odd titles like Deadman Wonderland and Future Diary (both brought over by TP ), I think Doubt would be a wise addition to the Yen Press ranks.

ShadowKit

Also, Richard J, I know it’s been mentioned here on the Yen Press articles in the past, but YP is NOT the company that brought over the Haruhi novels. They DO have the manga, but that’s it.

Lauren

Congratulations Yen Press on the amazing sale figures!
This has definitely put you guys on the map with all the ‘big guys’. But I must say, your catalogue is impressive. Haruhi, K-ON!, Black Butler, several light novels.. who all really aren’t the least in the market.
I’ll be looking forward to the rest of your releases.

xYaritzaxDarlingsx

Well,I just heard the news about your sales on SELLING 66,000 COPIES in just ONE WEEK on this TWILIGHT deal.
(MAKING THIS THE MOST, ON RECORD, COPIES OF A GRAPHIC NOVEL SOLD IN ONE WEEK.)
I so didn’t see this coming, haha
Even thou I’m not into the whole ‘Twilight fandom’, I’m glad you got much profit from it. 🙂
But I did bought a copy thou(for my Twilight addict friend’s birthday.)and got a look over it, I even caught myself getting into reading it by Young’s amazing artwork skills, just wonderful!(my friend loved it too).
I’m hopeful that the profits will get us fans more different mangas over here to the states(and maybe some color splashes in Yen plus’s Japanese side…?) than throwing it on ground and just rolling around the tons and TONS of dough (well I would’ve done that first thou, lol)
But I applauded you Yen, for your great sales and works, good job Yen.
GOOD JOB.

Richard J.

@ ShadowKit: The Haruhi novels are a partnership with Little Brown. YP does some of the production work on them but LB is the actual licensor. I’m aware, I just tend to think of Yen Press as the main player as LB is not a dedicated manga/light novel company.

saranghae

yen press does color pages for all their manga right? about 4-5 pages? in this one edward has rainbow sparkles…O_O

Sekai

Amazing Sales figures = more manga/manhwa/light novels! ^^(I would love to have more manga like With the Light or Bunny Drop) Also like ShadowKitt Said I also want Doubt. It is wonderful and it is by one of the Higurashi Artist. It has both a good story and good art. ^^

Safire35

This is an amazing reflection of Stephenie Meyers Twilight and i will be waiting for the next Volume.

Kelley

So, I’m one of the crazy Twilight Fans who bought it because it was Twilight related. (your welcome for all the profit that us Twihards will generate for future projects- lol) I don’t usually read this genre, but after reading it, it was much better than I thought. The story stays majorily true to the novel and the artwork is breathtaking. It allowed me to see the characters in a new light as I saw Twilight, the movie, before I read the books and have had Rob, Kristen, & the rest of the cast as my only visual representation.
The only negative I have is that I don’t think the marketing made it clear that the graphic novel for the story Twilight was a 2 volume set. I was under the impression that volume 2 was going to be New Moon & followed hopefully with Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. At the end of the book when it said to be continued, I was like !!!!!!! what?!
I will definitely be buying Twilight: Vol 2 though. And I hope the rest of the series is made as well.

Daisy

Oh cool. Maybe I’ll tell my friends who likes twilight about this! I can get them interested in Graphic Novels 😀

Marieliz

I got it and enjoyed it very much and I’m planning on getting the future releases too.
Personally I liked the books and the movies are ok but what I love the most is that this is a nice boost to graphic novels. I hope new manga & comic lovers come out of this <3
Good luck with the series!

hiya

I luv this book!!! cannot wait for volumne 2. anybody know the release date for it?

Anastasia

I have ordered this book in the Internet shop and I can receive it only on May, 30th. Patience is not present more!
Give us the second part!))

Michael

Art doesn’t catch my attention. Unlike Darren Shan’s Cirque Du Freak manga, Twilight’s graphic novel looks like it leans toward an American comic than Japanese.

Joleene Mendoza

I just love this book!Its full of beautiful pictures and great illustrations.I just can;t wait until the second volume.Question is:When will the 2nd volume come out?

Waneko - sklepik

Can we, Waneko issue that little title? Twilight looks so cute, I think Polish people wants to have that little manga. Good morning, Waneko!

Flower

I have bought this book and loved it soooo much!! Am wondering when volume 2 is coming out, I have looked on many sites and can not find the answer. If anyone has information please let me know on my hotmail [email protected]

Pooch

Interesting that Yen ignores to answer when the release date for volume 2??? 🙁 🙁 🙁 I am writing to steph!

Io

I got vol 1 but I cannot find info about vol 2, does anyone know about it? TIA

Jo

Dammit, Twitards are now in this community. This used to be a definite safe place from them. ;_;
I supposed even though the book was retarded, the graphic novel honestly looks quite impressive. Art is great, which makes the shit plot a bit easier to take in. And GOD, I hope that truck of cash thats going to Yen Press will be used to get us something less shitty than Twilight. Baccano! and Durarara!! please. License Toradora! while you’re at it too. ;_;

@Pooch, Io, others
The second volume of Twilight: The Graphic Novel will be announced as soon as we have a firm date. Young is working very hard! Please be patient!

Mikashi

Not a fan of twilight (read the novels…made my brain hurt…even my looking at them makes my eyes burn.) Anyways, as much as I hate it, I’m pleased with the fact it’s giving Yen Press dough to license more manga, lets hope that in due time they’ll get Durarara!! (Yes, I just totally jumped on that bandwagon) and Bitter Virgin by Kei Kusunoki (one of my favorite manga’s ever, by one of my favorite authors ever…you get my point XD. And it’s a squeenix title so it’s right up your ally!).

nida

i just read it yesterday…its awesome man…much better then the movies…anxiously waiting for the vol 2…

gabby

can anyone tell me the release date of volume 2 i really want to read it and no one can tell me the answer

al

i’ve been a fan of manga and other similar artworks. not a twilight fan but can appreciate the quality this books art work. my niece is a big fan of course. i happened to stumble onto this graphic novel at the book store and got it for her as an up coming XMAS gift. would like to give her Vol 2 as well.
Will this company please let everyone who is asking when the next release will be? it has been 6 months. are you even in printing of it for the holiday season?!?

Titania

AWESOME!!! Such beautiful art. Very nice. But why so long for Vol 2? I would have expected it well out by now and well into the New Moon Graphic novel. I am hanging for that to see Aro! Please continue with the Graphic novels, in ways they are better than the movies and I know friends of mine who won’t even watch the movies, but are hanging for the graphic novels.
I’m very sad part II of Twilight is taking so long. I don’t want to be an old woman like in Bella’s dream when Breaking Dawn part II graphic novel comes out…
These sold out so fast, so I’m wondering why it is taking so long. Please continue with them as they are really awesome and very beautiful.
Grazie!
Titania 🙂

@Titania The next Twilight is coming! I’m sure artist Young would be happy to know how much you like them. I expect we’ll be making an announcement on the next volume soon, so keep your eyes peeled!

Sue

Honestly, the way things are going, the twilight graphic novel is starting to be a BIG disappointment. Imagine: estimate that yen press releases only 1 a year (twilight being 2 vol, new moon being 2,eclipse being 2 and breaking dawn being 3-4 or possibly more) at that rate it’ll be done in 10 years (that is IF they do all of them and release them once a year) so in the end it’s a constant disappointing wait…you also have to consider how many volumes they’ll have for per a book from the twilight saga.

Mary

@sue’s post.. If true then I want refund money and return volume 1 book back!
Not want with 10 years! Jeez!

Jessica

This was great. When is the 2nd volume coming out? Other manga and graphic novels are coming out one right after the other yet these are taking over a year.

Jayme

ok so it’s almost coming to a year since vol. 1 has been out and still no word on vol. 2. now i know she was working on the Twilight Saga Guide too…but still a year for every volume. it’ll take forever! grrrrr. i hope we get some news soon even if it’s to say it’s not going to be out for a few months.

kendall

I love the book and the art work…still waiting on volume two,hope it’s coming soon..

Ash Williams

I am a huge fan of the novels by myers and when I noticed this beautiful artwork on the shelf at the store I had to have it. The characters have been interpreted beautifully and I’m so very excited for the next volume to be released. Please keep up the great work because this was my first graphic novel and is by far my favorite book amongst my vast collection.

Emma Elizabeth

Is anyone else waiting for the second volume to come out?? Because I certainly am!! This had beautiful artwork and I had to say I was deeply impressed. I want more!! Does anyone have a vast clue when the second comes out, by any chance?

@Emma We’ll be making an announcement very soon about the release date of the next Twilight Graphic Novel! Subscribe to our twitter or keep checking back to the site!

Dee

I just got The Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Guide and in the back flap of the jacket cover it showed volume 2 of the graphic novel (Edward is in the front and it looks like it matches up with the first one) Sooooo does that mean we will see it soon! I hope so!!! Us Twi-fans LOVED the first one, super beautiful, but now we NEED vol.2, please please please please!!!!

angie

I just got the Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Guide and noticed the cover art for part 2. Does that mean its coming out sooner?

Matt

READ THIS GRAPHIC NOVEL 3 TIMES NEED THE SECOND VOLUME QUIKLY!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE 2 COPIES OF THE FIRST VOLUME OMG IM GUNNA READ THE FIRST GRAPHIC NOVEL OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER TILL THE SECOND ONE COMES OUT!!!!!!!!!1 LOLOLOL! 🙂 COME ON YEN PRESS TELL US WHEN ITS COMING OUT! 😀

Chris

I am uninterested in twilight as a series. From what I hear, its a worthless series and a little girl’s “wet dream.” I watched a bit of the movie at school and was disgusted by it (my teacher was a twilight fan. eww.). Never touched the books in my life.
I just ordered the twilight manga edition off Amazon.com for $11.00. As well as 4 spice and wolf novels (though I own one of them already; its scuffed)
The art and paper quality looks unusually superb for manga, I want to support yen press, and I talk so much crap about twilight, I might as well get my facts straight first.

Lily

Patiently waiting for volume 2 of this beautiful publication. Love that the covers match up, props to Young Kim for expressing Korean manwa styles superbly. 🙂
@Chris:
Damn straight.

Irene

As Dee (April 12th) and Angie (April 15th), I bought today the Twilight saga: the official guide, that was released today in my country, and a few minutes ago I observed that in the inner side of the back cover there is the 1st volume of the graphic novel and next to it there is the 2nd one, as it is written on it, and Edward is on the cover. The two covers match and show the scene in the meadow, in which Bella (vol. 1) and Edward (vol. 2) are holding hands!! I hope it will be released really soon, cause we’re waiting for more than a year!

Jayme

Vol. 2 really needs to come out. the cover is shown in the sleeve of the guide but we still don’t have a release date. ugh this is getting frustrating

Omar

About the last comment, Abby… Does it mean that the “Twilight: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 2” will be in this year? or the next one?… I hope that it will be this year.

@Omar It means we will be announcing the release date soon. As to when that release date is, I cannot say…

Kena

Yen Press, the graphic novel imprint of Hachette Book Group, announced that it will publish the eagerly-awaited second volume in the graphic novel adaptation of Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight on October 11, 2011. Twilight: The Graphic Novel, Volume 2 will be released as an e-book and in hardcover for $19.99 ($22.99 CAN) with a first printing of 350,000 copies.

Rene

Will the other books be made into graphic novels as well? Is there any way we can confirm this one way or another?

Brianna

I wasn’t aware of the Twilight Graphic Novel series until late last year. I’ve read the books and seen the movies, loved both of them. These graphic novel series are just amazing, and the artwork is positively beautiful, I love it. Even though it’s been a while I’m willing to wait for the 2nd volume of New Moon. I read about what happened to Young Kim, and I hope she’s doing ok now. She’s very talented.