New York Comic-Con Recap!

New York Comic-Con was a blast, and we were thrilled to see so many of you at Friday’s panel. We know many of you were unable to join us at the show, so here is a recap of the exciting new licenses we announced over the weekend!
IS IT WRONG TO TRY TO PICK UP GIRLS IN A DUNGEON? (manga) by Kunieda, original story by Fujino Omori, character design by Suzuhito Yasuda
Bell Cranel is just trying to find his way in the world. Of course, in his case, the “world” is an enormous dungeon filled with monsters below a city run by gods and goddesses with way too much time on their hands. He’s got big dreams but not much more when a roll on the random encounter die brings him face-to-face with the girl of his dreams—but what’s an amateur adventurer got to offer a brilliant swordswoman? And what if the lonely goddess who sponsors his solo adventuring gets jealous…?!
Dungeon
A CERTAIN MAGICAL INDEX (manga) by Chuya Kogino, original story by Kazuma Kamachi, character design by Kiyotaka Haimura
Some guys get all the luck. And then there’s Touma Kamjou—he gets NONE of the luck. He might live in Academy City, a place full of more super powered students than you can shake a stick at, but his only superpower is his supernatural lack of ability. All Kamijou wants is to keep a low profile, but when a nun named Index comes into his life, it gets more complicated and more dangerous than ever!
Index
TRINITY SEVEN (manga) by Kenji Saitou, Akinari Nao
Arata Kasuga transfers to the Royal Biblia Academy to solve the mystery of the destruction that is ravaging the world and—more importantly—has stolen his cousin Hijiri from him. It’s a tough road that lies ahead of Arata, but nothing’s impossible when you have seven beautiful girls—each a master of her own magical art— at your side!
TrinitySeven
CHAIKA, THE COFFIN PRINCESS (manga) by Shinta Sakayama, original story by Ichirou Sakaki, character design by Namaniku ATK
Five years of inconceivable peace after two hundred years of war leaves erstwhile soldier Tooru Acura without a job or meaning in life—until he saves a mysterious sorceress with a coffin on her back. But when the coffin-wielding, silver-haired Chaika Trabant hires Tooru and his sister, Akari, to accompany her on a death-defying journey, Tooru’s life of mind-numbing, meaningless peace is about to end!
Chaika-The-Coffin-Princess
FIRST LOVE MONSTER (manga) by Akira Hiyoshimaru
When fifteen-year-old Kaho Nikaidou leaves her sheltered home to start life anew in a Tokyo high school dormitory, the last thing she expects is to nearly get hit by a truck! Saved in the nick of time by a handsome stranger, Kaho falls head over heels for him and, after finally tracking him down, boldly confesses her feelings. Turns out Kaho’s mystery savior, Kanade, is the son of Kaho’s new landlord! The handsome object of Kaho’s affection agrees to go out with her, but her newfound bliss is short-lived when it turns out that her new boyfriend…is a fifth-grader?!
First-Love-Monster
PRISON SCHOOL (manga) by Akira Hiramoto
Hachimitsu Private Academy was a revered and elite all-girls’ boarding school on the outskirts of Tokyo…once upon a time. But with the new school year comes a revision to school policy: Boys are to be admitted into the student body for the first time ever. But on his first day at Hachimitsu, Kiyoshi Fujino discovers that he’s one of only five boys enrolled at the school. Their numbers overwhelmed by the thousand girls in the student body, is it heaven or hell that awaits these five (un)fortunates?!
PrisonSchool
ALICE IN MURDERLAND (manga) by Kaori Yuki
The Mad Tea Party…To members of the elite house of Kuonji, a clan whose name has incredible pull all over the world, this monthly gathering is the only tried and true (not to mention mandatory) family tradition. But one such family reunion brings with it some unexpected and horrific news for the nine Kuonji siblings, and it comes straight from the lips of their mother Olga. To become the next head of their illustrious family, the siblings must fight each other to the death! As chaos erupts, Stella, the fourth daughter, loses it, and suddenly a whole new Stella, complete with blonde hair and blue dress, comes out to play?!
Alice-in-Murderland
EMMA (manga) by Kaoru Mori
Calling upon his inimitable former governess one day, young aristocrat William Jones is startled to find his knock on her door answered by an astute, bespectacled maid—Emma. From that moment forward, the two are drawn to each other and slowly but surely grow ever closer. But as the love between Emma and William builds, so too do the obstacles that threaten to keep them apart. For in Victorian London, some things are simply not done, and marrying outside of one’s social class just happens to be one such taboo! Set against a backdrop of Victorian England that comes to life with painstaking detail, Kaoru Mori’s Emma is a period classic that is not to be missed!
Emma_KaoruMori
AWKWARD (manga) by Svetlana Chmakova
Penelope—Peppi—Torres, a shy new transfer student, wants nothing more than to fit in and find a place among her fellow artistically inclined souls. The last thing she wants is to stand out. So when she bumps—literally—into quiet, geeky, friendly but friendless Jamie Thompson and is teased as the “Nerder’s Girlfriend,” Peppi’s first embarrassed instinct is to push him away and run. Though she later feels guilty and wants desperately to apologize for the incident, Peppi always ends up chickening out. She has no reason to speak to him anyway, until she ends up bumping—figuratively and continually—into Jamie again! Will these two opposites ever see eye-to-eye, let alone become friends?

Hiera

Aw Index manga :3
But is his name going to be translated as Touma in manga and Toma in novel? 0____0

Reeeen

So, lets cross more off my wishlist:
Index – check
Dungeon – check
CHAIKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! – check
and this is after Log Horizon, Devil, Akame and Progressive were all picked up by you.
Jeez YP, could you leave me with some money next year please? 😀
Fantastic stuff, really, we’re in for an amazing year.
All that’s left on my list is Magdala de Nemure and Maoyuu Maou Yuusha.
Now its time for me to run and get some overtime in to prepare my wallet. Cheers.

King

Waiting for mondaiji tachi ga isekai kara kuru sou desu yo
to be licensed and officialy translated.

Kaito Kid

Great selection! Next time you should pick up Narutaru by Mohiro Kitoh since Dark horse never finished their translation and censored it…

Alex

Hey I might look into Trinity Seven, hey word of advice you should have more announcements for every upcoming month. You’ll make more money that way, and I’m still hoping that Dusk Maiden of Amnesia would be among the upcoming months of 2015. Anyway remember this: More announcement titles for every upcoming month would mean more cash. And what I mean by that, is that I mean having like over 15 titles in one month section each.

peb2000

Hey Yen Press, can you specify which of your upcoming manga and light novels are getting digital releases? Normally I’d just look to see what’s solicited on Amazon, but, well, that’s not working so well these days…

Tin

Once again, thanks for Index, Chaika, and even DanMachi! Didn’t notice that the first time. 🙂
Are some of these releasing this year?

Index Librorum Prohibitorum

@Hiera
I hope they are consistent with his name and use Touma in both the novel and manga.
@Yen Press
Thanks for new interesting manga addition to your lineup, will try to get Chaika, Dungeon and Index.

TheFrostDude

Need more money for more fantastic manga!
Thank you yen press for Is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon, trinity seven, and chaika the coffin princess!
Also can’t wait for more sword art online and log horizon!
Super excited to get my hands on these wonderful manga.

Alex

Hey Yen Press you should do some updating on your website. Because the September announcements are still a part of the list even though it’s October, so you should probably fix that right now.

Kat

You definitely won NYCC when it comes to new manga titles! Anyways, any release dates for these in the making yet?
(Oh, and please do license Madoka Rebellion Story and Suzune Magica soon!)

evie

I am so glad about you guys publishing Kaoru Mori’s series, Emma. Before the news, I was saddened to find out that I wasn’t able to buy any copies of the manga (unless I had somehow money to pay for one volume for $50+) but, to read this news has just made my day! Thank you, Yen Press for all of your hard work and getting Emma to be published. I have enjoyed owning my own copy of Kaoru Mori’s works that you have released so far. Words cannot express how happy you guys have made me, and many other fans of Kaoru Mori, feel about this news. Hope to hear when you’re planning to have the dates of when we could buy the series soon! And again, thank you so much for continuing your work on Otoyomegatari as well. 🙂

Samuel

Great stuff Yen Press, Chaika, Index and Prison School are going to look so good on my shelf, thought i’d quickly suggest the Bakemonogatari and Garden of Sinners novels, keep up the great work c:

Alex

Hey remember this Yen Press?: Fans’ requests + You guys fulfilling them = Cash (a ton of it).
Let that sink in, because the more requests you fulfill in time the more money you’ll make. That and how many fans will be so happy that you fulfilled them, oh and don’t forget about the other Square Enix manga titles from 2009. Like Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, because some of your fans asked you to license them like I did so don’t forget okay?;)

Ninjaguiden

I agree with Shaku, the source material for the Chaika anime is what I would be interested in.

Richard J.

@ Alex: Dusk Maiden of Amnesia would be awesome but there might be reasons for it not getting licensed. Maybe someone else is working on it? I was hoping for Yen to grab up Freezing but Seven Seas got it. 🙁 Since it is a violent and fanservicey manga, maybe it won’t get cancelled like so many other series I was going to buy from them, but I guess not everything title gets licensed by the best company.

Alex

@Richard J.- Don’t be too sure about that, because Dusk Maiden is from Square Enix and that a large number of manga titles from them have been licensed by Yen Press. And Akame Ga Kill is their recent new title from Square Enix’s youngest manga magazine called Gangan Joker. Inu x Boku SS is also from Gangan Joker and so is Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, so I have to believe in Yen Press that they’ll license Dusk Maiden of Amnesia soon.

Alex

Hey Yen Press I’m letting you know… again, that I truly believe that you are the right publishing company to publish manga series from Square Enix. Because no other company would, and I don’t like reading manga online. Because the websites that provide them for free always get the translations wrong, I’ve known about that problem for sometime now. Also those websites contain viruses and malware and that’s not a lie, that actually happens from time to time. So I’m reminding you again please license Dusk Maiden of Amnesia as soon as possible, I know that your busy and all so please try your absolute best on working on that. Because I believe in you, and if you would be able to do that along with fulfilling other fans’ request ASAP. You would make me and them truly happy.

zaxus

Can’t wait to read index and trinity seven. I have been waiting for a long time for them to be released so a few more that i think would be good includes yumekui merry, horimiya, absoulute duo and LN of yahari ore no seishun love come wa machigatteiru.

Reeeen

@Alex, constantly posting the same thing over and over will not get Dusk Maiden licensed any faster. Consider how many people across facebook and twitter are also making requests, they’ll be hundred of them. For every series Yen Press look at, they have to consider; what’s selling well at the moment?, what manga’s can we license?, how much is it going to cost?, what are the predicted sales? etc etc. People were after Index for years and that’s only just got picked up. Just chill mate, I’m pretty sure someone has taken note of your request as with everyone else’s and it will get considered, posting 5 or 6 times every time YP do something won’t speed anything up.
Relax mate, good things come to those who wait.

Reeeen

*hundreds
Have to correct my own post or it’ll just annoy me. 😀
While I’m here I’ll seconds Zaxus on his Horimiya request and Samuel for Garden of Sinners (manga too), good suggestions guys!

Alex

@Reeeen- You’re right I should wait, and besides Yen Press’ editor already made note of my request over a month ago. I should just stay calm and wait for the announcement for Dusk Maiden to come. And it’s like you said “good things come to those who wait”. I should take note of that.

Alex

@Richard J.- Hey speaking of the manga series Freezing I’ve seen the anime version a long time ago. All 12 episodes of season 1 and all of its OVAs, and right now the anime has a season 2 and more OVAs for season 2 as well. Also the anime has already been licensed by Funimation.

Cesar

Aside from Qualia the Purple/Murasakiiro no Qualia(manga) by Ueo Hisamitsu and Tsunashima Shirou, I second Zaxus on Yumekui Merry/Dream Eater Merry by Ushiki Yoshitaka if possible, especially if digitally available for iBooks or any other platform for Latin America in English.

sevi

Some more suggestions (all Square Enix):
Spiral Alive (spin-off from Spiral: The Bonds of Reasoning)
Astro Fighter Sunred
Undertaker Riddle
Tripeace
Gin no Kresnik
Tozasareta Nergal
(thanks 🙂 )

Ashen-phoenix

A new original series by Ms. Chmakova!? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
Between that and the influx of Index I am one happy camper.
Now if Yen could just license Crash ‘n’ Burn by Mikiko Ponczeck all my (comic) dreams will have come true.

Digi

Thank you so much for releasing light novels, including some of chocies for manga as well! I have hoped for a long time to get an English translations of some series, but with low past marketing I thought it might not happened.
Once again, THANK YOU Yen Press.
I’m looking forward to Dungeon and Maou-sama.

Cyclone

Yen Press, you guys are proving once again that you are one of the best licensors.
Chaika is my life. Which is both a good and bad thing. While I would definitely prefer to see the novels translated, I can understand the complication that can bring. I’m just incredibly happy that I will be able to have a physical copy of the Chaika universe soon!
Thanks for all of the awesome announcements! I’m looking forward to buying a lot of your stuff over the coming year!

Alex

I’ve looked up A Certain Magical Index on Wikipedia, and then looked up the light novels and manga of the series. And I got say: How come until now? The light novels have been out in Japan since 2004, while the manga series has been out since 2007. What made you decide to license the light novels and manga now after all this time?

Alex

Hey Yen Press just to remind you, you need to have some of the November title covers on the left side of your website. Because this month is almost over, and you still have some of the title covers from this past September so don’t forget to do that.

Gary29

You guys at YenPress are seriously the best licensing company. I really hope you stay as awesome as you are now!
I’m looking forward to Dungeon, Chaika and perhaps Trinity Seven as well. Now I’m just hoping for the licensing of the DxD LNs!

Alex

Is there any chance of you picking up the Oreimo Light Novels? I buy all of the Light Novels that you release and I am really interested in this series.

nuriko55

Pleaaseeee have you considered to publish the Corpse Party series? It’s awesome! And it belongs to Square Enix!

Alex

@nuriko55- Hey you and I are a lot alike, you want Corpse Party while I want Dusk Maiden of Amnesia and both of them are from Square Enix. Except that Corpse Party is based on a video game series, while Dusk Maiden doesn’t and only has an anime adaption. Hey word of advice you should show Yen Press how passionate you are about Corpse Party. I’ve proven them how passionate I was with Dusk Maiden, and they’ve acknowledged my request in just 5 days. So you should prove it to them, give them a reason to acknowledge your request.

Tin

@Alex: Market wasn’t right for it. Anime was only released recently by Funimation and picked up steam. Alongside Railgun gaining popularity. This is also the perfect long-term series financially.

sevi

@Alex
There have been way more people requesting Index in the last few months alone than people who want Dusk Maiden. You’re just sowing sour grapes because Yen Press hasn’t given your request priority over every one else. News flash, a lot of us have asked for titles that haven’t yet been or probably won’t be picked up. Stop harassing YP and everyone else who wants anything different because it’s beyond old at this point.

sevi

@Alex
No. All you’re “saying” is that even though Index is probably one of the most if not the most requested series of all time they shouldn’t have licensed it because it wasn’t what you wanted. And saying it’s because it’s an older series doesn’t cut it because, unlike Dusk Maiden, the series is still very much running and popular. And at least with Dusk Maiden you have the anime. Amatsuki fans don’t even have that much. And yet you don’t see me complaining about Index.

sevi

@Alex
Sigh… If you construe what I said as picking a fight, even though that wasn’t my intention, so be it. But other people have asked you politely to discontinue harassing Yen Press with your constant requests at least 3 times by now. And not only have you not conceded on the issue but you’re encouraging nuriko55 to do the same thing. Plus you’ve insinuated that Yen Press shouldn’t have licensed series other than Index in the past. When people say to wait they don’t mean it’ll happen in a few days. Or even within a few months. So, please, just be patient.

Tin

@Alex: To put it another way, licensing takes a lot of time. Plus, the ones that have an anime take precedence, requests and what is likely easier to get. I bet it also depends on if the Japanese publisher has confidence in it.

Chloe

I really liked the Emma anime, so the fact that it’s getting republished it making me excited. I’ll actually have a Victorian love drama on my shelf!

yune

Thank you for your licenses! Prison school is very popular. I hope it does not seem like spamming if I ask if it is possiable for You to license more Aki’s manga (like Aruosumente ,Angel’s doubt)I am very glad that you have licensed Elhanburg no Tenshi and Olympos earlier.

Dobbeh-kun

Thank the Kami for the license of Emma I was just wondering (since the new publications will be in Omnibus form or so it seems based on the page count) would the volumes include 8-10 which are the short stories???